No announcement yet.

DDC, what is it and how does it work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDC, what is it and how does it work??

I'm working on a project and I need to know exactly what DDC is, how it works and what exactly it does. Can any one shed a little light on this??

Much appreciated.

------------------
    #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
    people do all day!"

VESA DDC
    (VESA Display Data Channel) A VESA standard communications channel between the display adapter and monitor. The DDC is used to pass Extended Display Identification Data (EDID), which is stored in the monitor and describes its characteristics (vendor name, serial number, frequency range, etc.).

DDC requires an additional wire in the cable. The first level implementation (DDC1) provides a unidirectional channel that lets the monitor inform the host of its capabilities. A second bi-directional level (DDC2) allows the host to adjust the monitor.
    For example, the monitor's switch settings could be put into a software control panel.

Source: http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Here's the connector spec. I'm still looking for more info...

--
      Andrew
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It doesn't look like the complete spec is available on the web. You may have to request a copy of the spec from www.vesa.org .

--
        Andrew
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Correction, you have to purchase a copy of the spec, for US$350. I guess that's why it's not readily available...

--
          Andrew

Comment

Thanks for the help. Don't really intend on shelling out $350 US for that info so this will have to do. Thanks again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Strahd (edited 22 August 2000).]
            #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
            people do all day!"

Comment

Working...
            X