Need Help Sharing Drives and Printer Through DSL Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Sharing Drives and Printer Through DSL Router

Need some help please. I bought a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router. I have two computers hooked up to it (both connected to DSL), with one running Win98 and one with W2K.

PPPoE and DHCP are both enabled in the router and nothing else in the router BIOS needed to be changed from the default.

What do I need to do to get the two computers to share the printer on LPT1 of the W2K computer and share files?

I enabled file and printer sharing in both computers and they were each seen in the other. No W2K computer drives were available on the Win98 computer, however, the Win98 computer drives were accessible from the W2K computer and the W2K printer is available to the Win98 computer. The Win98 computer asked me for a password to access the W2K computer drives. I have not set a password for access to C$. I set up passwords for administrator, user, and guest in the Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Users area. Apparently, these were not the passwords it was looking for. The resource is \\BE6\IPC$ (BE6 is the name of the Win2K computer).

What am I missing here? Did I need to do something to use the passwords? I didn't have any initially.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 19 August 2000).]

Make sure you share the printer itself. ie: right click on the printer in
    start/settings/printers/hp930c
    and select sharing...

Comment

When you are connecting to the W2K computer from the win98 computer, win98 supplies whatever username you used to sign in to win98. You either need to create a user with the same name on the w2k box, or login to win98 with a name that exists on w2k already (user or guest). It will then accept the password when you attempt to connect.

--
      Andrew
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Isochar - Thanks for the tip. Printer is shared.

Andrew - I put the username of the Win98 computer into "users". When I try to map the network drive \\be6\c$, I have to enter a password. I tried both no password and an actual password entered into the "Computer Management" for the Win98 user. The Win98 computer would not accept either one as the correct password to access c$ on the W2K computer.

At least the Win98 computer is not asking for a password for \\BE6\IPC$ anymore.

???????????????????????????????????

Do I need to "map network drive" on the Win98 computer to see a W2K drive?

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 20 August 2000).]

Comment

On the W2K computer, you have to go into the control panel, "users and passwords". Set up a new user with the same name as the one used to login to win98. set a password on it. when win98 prompts you for the password, enter the one you just entered on the w2k computer. If you want to access the c$ share (this is a default share) you will have to give administrator rights to the new w2k ID. otherwise, you can create a new share on C:, and grant rights specifically to that user. You shouldn't need to map a drive to access the share.

W2K, and NT4 for that matter, are very picky about security on network shares.

--
          Andrew
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Something to note, you can have more than one "share" on the same directory in Win2K. For example, you can have the C$ share pointing to C:\, and you can have another share, let's call it "c_drive" also pointing to C:\. The C$ share is set to administrator access only, and cannot be modified. Any other shares can be set for any kind of access you like, such as read only for everyone, read-write for specific users, etc.

--
            Andrew

Comment

Thanks Andrew, the problem is solved (albeit strangely).

I gave the Win98 computer user administrator privledges. No drives. However, I was able to map the W2K computer drives as E: F: and G: on the Win98 computer.

???????????????????????????????????????

Any idea why?

Comment

You need to customize the rights to the user group you are assigning to the win98 machine.

Rags

Comment

As soon as you gave the win98 user admin rights, you were able to access the default shares on each drive. That's they way it's supposed to work.

--
                  Andrew

Comment

I see...says the blind man

If I change the shares on the W2K computer so that they are useable by a user, will the Win98 computer still need to access them by mapping them? Or will they be accessible in Windows Explorer as drives under \\BE6?

If not, is there a way to have them accessed this way?

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 20 August 2000).]

Comment

The $ at the end of the share name hides a share from view of all other users that do not have admin rights. Share the C: drive with another name (and you can even use just plain C) and you should be able to see it without giving admin rights to the Win98 machine. The default permission for a new share is for all defined users to have full access.
                      RAB
                      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

So it seems to me that W2K makes a computer act like a server even when it's only a peer.

Comment

Another question - What services, adapters, and whatnot are needed in the Win98 computer. Remember, it is accessing DSL through an external DSL modem through a router, through an ethernet card.

I have:
                          Client for MS networks
                          Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
                          MS PPP over ATM Adapter
                          MS Virtual Private Networking Adapter
                          NDISWAN -> MS PPP over ATM Adapter
                          NDISWAN -> MS Virtual Private Networking Adapter
                          TCP/IP -> Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
                          File and Print Sharing for MS Networks

Comment

Working...
                          X