Nt4 profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nt4 profiles

How much hard disk space would you need for a typical profile?
    I had a user who when he tried to logon his profile couldn't be created. I checked the hard disk space and there was 200mb free. I tried to create a new account and this failed due to lack of space. I cleared some more room I then create a new account. However his profile was still knackered. In the end I deleted it and NT created a new one but I would have thought 10-20mb would be needed rather 200mb.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Maybe it was a permission problem ?

I just checked several profiles on my system and mine is the biggest one, totalling at ~ 43MB (because it includes the desktop, history, favorites etc.), but the smallest, only rarely used one is only ~250KB !!!

Did you set it up while you were logged on as admin ?

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

No it's not a permission problem as the filing system is fat16. However speaking to another collegue he had the same problem after filling his hard drive up and NT corrupted his profile. It seems that NT doesn't check how much space is needed to save the profile before allowing the drive to be filled up.

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 18 August 2000).]
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

with 200mb free u should have no trouble creating profiles (I'm assuming it's not roaming but a new local one.)

Profile path's correct?

And about your friend's problem: I know of two ways a profile can get corrupted:
        -ntuser.dat could not be loaded properly when logging on (roaming only)

-low memory when logging on, can lead to 'disappearing' of the profile..

And why use fat -btw-?

Grtz,
        Ed

Comment

What he did orginally was try install office into that space. Although NT let it go on when he rebooted he got this profile problem.
          Although the profile was there it was bolloxed. I also presumed the swap file expanded as well since theres only 32mb fitted to the machine. I tried to create account for myself and Ntsaid insufficent disk space! Thats with 200mb with 400 and moving the swap file to the other disk. I could create myself a profile but his was dogs breakfast.
          I asked a collegue he got the same problem when he accidentally filled up his C drive.
          As for fat16 it's windows 3.11 machine as well.
          Anyway he's going to get a larger disk so the profile shouldn't be eaten for lunch for a while anyway.
          As for increasing the memory I don't think it's worth it spending the money on the machine.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

mmm hope al larger drive helps (i don't think this is the real problem)

did you try a checkdsk on that harddrive?

Also (alltough i can understand that you don't want re-install the whole thing) The best way to go with a dual boot machine is to make at least two partitions: 1 fat16/boot/win 311 and one NT/NTFS

Comment

I've found that NT profiles get pooched for no reason quite frequently. You also have to remember that the desktop and personal folders are stored within the profile, so if you download some big files from the net and leave them on your desktop, they'll be in the profile.

--
              Andrew
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X