OverClocking Error Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OverClocking Error Question!

O.K. This may be a stupid question but I don't know so I'm asking!!!!!
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a PIII 700 and seeing how much I can push it.
    So my question is,
    How do you know when you get some type of error or if the box wont boot up, whether it's a Core voltage issue, a memory problem or some other thing that is mucking up the works! I would like to see how much my PC100 memory will take, until I can save up more bucks to get some better memory.
    I just don't wont to be blaming my memory when all I needed to do was kick up the core voltage or set my voltage to high and fry the CPU.
    Again you all are the best!
    Thanks!!!!!!!

Oboy
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Oboy,

The main thing to remember is try something one at a time and if you get to a point where it doesn't work, then back out of that change. I've also seen where everything works fine for several days and then the system locks up all of a sudden and you don't remember the last thing you did. The obvious solution is to write down what you've done, but if you are im-patient and lazy like me then you'll just have to play around until it is stable again. The funny thing is, lock ups can be caused by too high voltage or too low voltage. Most of all, think logically. If you uped the memory bus speed and it locks up, then change it back.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What Motherboard have you got? Some motherboards allow you to run the memory at 100mhz and the cpu higher.
      Motherboards like the Abit allow you to increase the fsb and memory in 1mhz steps which is nice.
      Before you overclock make sure you have good cooling and that the system is stable. As soon as it starts to crash or fail to boot you can either increase the core voltage or backup a bit. Increasing the core voltage allows you to overclock further however you'll be producing more heat than ever.
      When you think you've got to go as far as you can go run an appilication that stresses the cpu not for a few minutes but for several hours. If it locks up knock the cpu back a bit.
      Remember just because the cpu is happy running everything you got it doesn't mean that the will be with the next appilcation you load. This may stress the cpu more and result in a frozen pc.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X