Linksys Router not connecting to DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router not connecting to DSL

I have connected my Linksys router between the NIC and the modem. I enabled TCP/IP for the NIC and enabled PPPoe in the router firmware with my username and password.

Cannot connect to the modem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sleepless in Seattle

(Please make it simple)

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 15 August 2000).]

First, go into the router management and check the status tab. Check to see if the router is getting assigned an IP address on the WAN. If it has an IP, then there is something wrong on the setup of your machine. If it doesn't, then the router wasn't properly setup. (Sorry if I'm being vague)

Comment

I'm looking at the status tab now. I see a Wan IP address. Have any ideas I can check? Could it be the WinPOet software and/or Dial-up connection is getting in the way somehow?

By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Quick reply only because I was checking MURC at the moment

Since you have a WAN IP, it seems that the hardware connection is fine.

I personally don't use PPPoe, so someone else will have to fill in here. (if it is the problem)

To properly setup your pc, make sure you have DHCP enabled in your router management.
        Then, go to your network neighborhood properties, select tcp/ip and go to its properties (i'm assuming you have win9x)
        and select the following:

Under IP Address-
        everything should be automatically assigned
        Under WINS Configuration-
        should be disabled
        Under DNS Configuration-
        should be disabled

reboot of course and see if that helps

Comment

Actually, I'm using Win2K. The network and router setup I've had is identical to what you just outlined with the exception of DNS, and Wins options are not stated like that. "Obtain DNS server information automatically" is checked. There is alot more under DNS and Wins tabs in properties.

Comment

Chuck - Thanks for the ideas. I'll look when I get home tonight. PPPoE software? Is that WinPoET? How do I connect/disconnect with my ISP if I get rid of this software? Turn the router/modem on and off? Sorry if I'm so clueless.

Comment

I'm guessing you just have to leave your router on 24/7 and thus stay connected forever...

Comment

Brian,
                WinPoET is the software.
                The router runs software like this in it's firmware; taking the place of WinPoET.
                The router just stays connected. Turn your PC off if you want. (or unplug the router, it has no switch)
                It does the connecting for you.
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think PPPoE has dynamic IP (not static)? Also, the gateway of your PC should point to the Linksys. I can't help much more since I never used the Linksys router.

Comment

Since the router is making the PPPoE connection for you, you have to remove winpoet from your pc and just use a bare IP stack. Set your pc to get it's ip from DHCP (the router has a DHCP server in it for assigning IPs to your local lan, and the router picks up a WAN ip via the PPPoE connection), and it should configure the ip and gateway settings in your pc for you.

As for disconnecting, there should be something in the router configuration screen to disconnect/reconnect. Turning off or unplugging the router should work too, although keep in mind that would also turn off the DHCP server.

--
                    Andrew
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

This is off the routers help file. (inside the router it's self.)
                      You have to check with your ISP to make sure whether the PPPoE should be enabled or not. If so, you should also fill both the User Name and Password fields which provided by your ISP. You can also enable the Connect on Demand to connect/disconnect the PPPoE connection automatically. After you enable the Connect on Demand feature, the PPPoE connection will be disconnected if it has been idle for a period more than the Max Idle Time setting.
                      I don't have PPPoE, but my guess is that the easiest thing to do is keep auto connect disabled. Then the router will just stay connected.
                      This conflicts with the reason your ISP uses PPPoE, but screw them
                      If they complain or disconnect you somehow, just enable connect on demand and set a high timeout period.
                      chuck

Don't forget to goto the router setup and do->
                      Advanced->Filters->Block WAN Request:->Enable

This will hide you from most casual hackers.

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 15 August 2000).]
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'll try all this stuff when I get home after work. Hope some of y'all are still around in 6 hours or so.

I'm surprised that the router won't work with WinPOet installed. What's the problem, does it interfere with signals to the router?

Also, is ininstalling the WinPOet software sufficient (using the uninstaller) or do I have to remove it from Network, Dial-up Networking also?

Do I have to make any changes (enable anything) in the system services?

What about when I add other computers to the router. This is a peer to peer network, isn't it? Any changes need to be made in my first computer's system services or LAN setup?

agallag - "Bare IP stack"???

Comment

Brian,
                          Your router strips the PPPoE wrapper from your packets before they get to your NIC.
                          Therefore, WinPoET thinks you are not connected to a PPPoE modem.
                          And, your NIC and network stack think you are connected to a regular TCP/IP network.
                          You need to get rid of WinPoET.
                          WinPoET must die!
                          chuck

Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Chuck - That explains why the router interferes with the WinPOet, but why does WinPOet interfere with the router?

Comment

How do you know the router is not connecting to the modem?
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X