GeForce 2 Ultra?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 2 Ultra?!

Hehe, seems that nvidia couldn't let ATI have the performance crown for too long. According to 3dchipset tomorrow we'll here an announcment from nvidia on a new and improved GF2! (Along with some 6.16 detonators for my GF2 =)

Looks like there going for a six week cycle.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Read review here

I feel sorry for al those GF2 GTS owners who will see that there high priced card isn't the fastest anymore.
      PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

"Detonator 3 boosts performance across the entire range of NVIDIA cards that work with it. TNT2 cards should see less of a boost than GeForce 256 and faster cards. Detonator 3 is like a free speed boost to your old NVIDIA card."

They're not forgetting their older cards.

Comment

it will be the fastest card for ooooh two weeks, then they'll release the gts ultra ninja turbo plus.

why is it that nvidia can release drivers that offer big speed increases all the time & everyone else can't?, i'd love to get a 15-20% increase with the next matrox drivers.

Comment

I don't feel ripped off. Bought my Annihilator 2 for 247. Almost what I bought my G400max for! =)

Comment

It's interesting how the article brings up how nvidia is straying from their "6 month cycle". I truly believe that nvidia not only has nv20 pretty much ready to go, they're almost done with nv25 =)

nvidia will just be sitting back in their chair waiting for a reason to release nv20 - be it a competitive product (from another company or their existing line has been out too long.

With this development, 3dfx's V5 6000 might even be outgunned. (The V5 is sitting ALL the way at the bottom I wouldn't even want to see where my G400max is....

Still, I don't like this new pricing method company's are using. $500 for a new video card?! Most of us were complaining about $300. I guess video cards are entering the realm of processor marketing. (top of the line processor a grand, etc.) So the average consumer will have to sit back and wait for the price to come down.

Comment

Actually, the video quality part should be apparent. With the speed boost from the Ultra parts, as well as D3, that GF2 Ultra should be able to do FSAA at 1024x768 with a playable frame rate!

One more thing, every time nvidia releases a new product. It's not just nvidia owners getting the feeling of having a lesser product, everyone does. Did you see the benchmarks?! The V5 5500 is WAY down there... even the Radeon is getting smoked. How do those owners feel? hehe..

I really really hope Matrox has an ace up their sleeve with the G800.

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 14 August 2000).]

Comment

cking - I have both a MAX and a Prophet 2 64 MB. The MAX has a sharper display, no question. The GTS card is pretty good though. Better than most. The MAX is just beautiful.

BTW, I have no desire to buy this Ultra GTS. I had to cringe in order to shell out the $350 for the GTS 64 MB card. It was worth it for Q3. Also, the GTS has great DVD. The increase in performance of the Ultra over the GTS, particularly with the new drivers, is not enough to make me want to shell out $500. I have people who will buy my old HW, so I upgrade when desirable. It is not desirable yet. If the G800 (or whatever) is 50% faster than my Prophet, then I will make that my next card (unless that's a $500 card also). No way I'll spend $500 for a card. I won't even spend that for a processor.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 14 August 2000).]

Comment

I was just checking out the firing squad article on the Gefarce2 ultra and they said that this is the NV16 and not the NV20. The went on to say that the NV20 was delayed till the early winter since it would take advange of DX8 features(hmm sounds familar). I guess there goes Nivida's 6 month product cycle! I feel that you have to be a figgen Moron to buy this card in September and then have the NV20 come out around Christmas time, plus $500 bucks for a video card is outrageous! You can get yourself a 1Ghz Athlon Chip (if they went through with the price cuts I heard about) for that! I'm waiting on my G800......

Scott

------------------
                    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB DOA....

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It's the age old question, when do you upgrade? It's inevitable. Do you wait for a card (G800) that is not yet announced? Or do you bite the bullet and up your gaming speed by a factor of two with an intermediate purchase? Me, myself, I upgrade at about the 50% increase line. I waited for my MAX to be doubled in speed before I bit the bullet an got the GTS 64 MB.

(Still a Matrox user with a MAX and two G200s)

Comment

NV20 is this spring

Is'nt that Image quality claim getting a little stale? The Max is nicer but how much nicer? 500 bucks on release 300 in two months. This is an amazing product way too $$$ but hell I'm impressed. Bash all you want

Comment

CK,

There was another thread discussing what was playable...

When judging a new graphics card, you use the software that tests it the best. (FPSs) That's why everyone uses them. This way you can actually see what the differences between the cards are.

Heh, if they used an rts, the review for every card would almost be identical...

As for what's "playable" in a FPS, every knowledgeable person agrees that it is 70+ frames per second. Personally, I can't play at anything below 70 fps because UT or Q3A plays too "slow". The other thread that I mentioned has all the technical jargon behind this phenomena.

Remember, we (the people who dish out $300-500 for a video card) are hardcore gamers. We don't care about 2d, fsaa, etc... it's all about the frame rates. (Why else do we go through such extraordinary measures to get 100 points more on 3dmark?

Comment

you could buy playstation 2 for that kind of money, its an awful lot of money purely for a higher framerate.

Comment

Yeah a Japanese PS2 with crappy gameplay and crappy graphics.

C:\DOS
                              C:\DOS\RUN
                              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                              X