Whats a good backup prog for win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good backup prog for win2k

Whats a good backup program I can buy in the uk rather than the resource hog that comes with it. I'm using an 8 Gig seagate tape.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Normally, backup software is designed to backup as quickly as possible (at the expense of restore time), therefore it will utilize a great deal of resources to accomplish this. You should schedule your backup time to occur during idle or low-usage periods. You'll also run into problems if applications/services have files or databases open during the backup. Do you need hot backup capability? Will an image backup versus a file backup work for you? There are SAN, serverless solutions for network backup (ultra high-end, fibre nets) but I assume your just doing a stand-alone backup. I haven't used W2K in the last 19 months so I'm a bit out of touch with its current features but you should be able to reduce the process priority. You can also economize somewhat by exploiting incremental backups. What is the througput rate of your storage device? Have you profiled your system usage? Do you need library management capabilities?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The resource problem should have fixed with sp1. I won't know until I download the file at work on Monday.
      I run the backup when I go out at night and I do a full backup every two weeks. The through put in theory is 60mb a minute but it way below that in win2k. Again this could be due to the resource bug. Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't compress data very well if at all.
      I used to use seagate backup for NT4 which worked fine however this doesn't install under win2k. Shame that nice program.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Bloody thing is a bag of shit. Anyway downloaded a demo of Novastor 6.6 and this seemed to do this business. The compression seems to work it didn't with the built in software don't ask why. Hopefully I can span tapes with it which I couldn't with the built in backup.
        What did the dialogue box say. Your tape is full (compression not working) please add another tape to your pool blah blah. to options after that Okay cancel. So you click on okay to add another tape. Next Dialogue box your tape is full the only option cancel. Of course clicking on cancel aborts the backup.
        I couldn't find anyway off adding tapes to the backup pool. The help didn't mention it at all.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X