Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewriting LMHosts.sam to let the client know it has internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewriting LMHosts.sam to let the client know it has internet?

This is for a Win ME server and a Win98 client. Both run Sygate 3.0 as network software. I can let the client call in on the internet, but after that it can't reach any pages whatsoever.

So I need to rewrite the LMHosts.sam file on both machines, save them as LMHosts. (no extension), so they know eachother.

Okay, I tried the next entries on the server (which didn't work):

195.121.1.34 DNS1
    195.121.1.66 DNS2

#BEGIN_ALTERNATE
    #INCLUDE DNS1
    #INCLUDE DNS2
    #END_ALTERNATE

And on the Client I filled in

192.xxx.xxx.xxx Jorden

#BEGIN_ALTERNATE
    #INCLUDE \\localsrv\public\lmhosts
    #INCLUDE \\Jorden\public\lmhosts
    #END_ALTERNATE
    <hr>

I kinda need some help here... Anyone out there with more knowledge in these things than I have?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

I'm not sure exactly what you've got going here. Are you sharing a modem connection? If so, there's no reason to run Sygate on both machines (just need it on the server), and there's no reason to use LMHosts. If you're doing something more complicated, I'll need more details...

--
    Andrew
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Ed and Andrew, here's the story as far as I know it:

The Client (IP 192.xxx.xxx.2) uses my IP address (192.xxx.xxx.1) as gateway and DNS number, as it was doing so under Win98 (and worked there). As I understand Win ME is an NT based OS, so you have to rewrite the LMHosts on both machines, adding the DNS number of the ISP on the server (same addresses as used by the DUN for connecting to the ISP), and on the client the DNS number must be the IP address for the server again.

(Hope you can follow that )

I've changed nothing in Sygate when I installed ME over my Win98, (Upgraded from Win98), so one would think everything would be okay still. Well, it isn't working, even after I reinstalled Sygate on the server and client. The client cannot ping out to the internet, but it can make an internet connection, and ping internal. We can also transfer files to and from eachother.

I'm not using the Win ME sharing a modem connection, because I use Sygate to do that task, giving me some extra protection against hacks from the net.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ehm.. nope i'm afraid i can't follow that :-)

You really, really don't need to have a lmhosts file, it has nothing to do with dns. When resolving names for the internet (dns) it will either use the hosts-file or a dns server. Apparently Sygate supports dns fowarding (as it worked before) so filling in your gateway's adres in teh dns server list on your client should be fine (altough filling in your isp's dns server adress would also work)

Windows millenium is not NT based by the way. If NT was anything like win me or any other win 95 clone i would quit my job and find something else to do :-)

But all this doesn't really solve anything :-(
        sygate did have an update for supporting windows ME new tcp/ip stack: http://www.sybergen.com/support/fix.htm
        maybe this version will help.

-btw- Sygate is not the only proxy/nat software having problems with windows me, Winroute also won't work :-(

Grtz,
        Ed

Comment

EdSki's right Jord. You really shouldn't need LMHosts for this. Even if ME was NT based, you still wouldn't need LMHosts. Here's Windows2000's definition of the LMHosts file: "A local text file that maps IP addresses to the computer names of Windows 2000 networking computers outside the local subnet." Basically, it's used in smallish networks that don't use DNS or WINS for name resolution, in order to find machines on other subnets. It dates back to Microsoft LAN Manager days (thats where the LM comes from), and really isn't used much anymore.

The only name resolution you'd need here is DNS for internet name resolution. For file sharing internally, you're better off using NetBEUI/Microsoft Networking, which doesn't need any name resolution.

If you haven't installed Sygate's ME patch, that's probably the problem. If you have installed it, then we'll have to dig deeper here.

--
          Andrew
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Also, why are you running sygate on the client? The client should just have it's default gateway set to the server machine. It doesn't need the sygate software, does it? I've never used Sygate myself, but it seems a little strange that the client machines would need any software installed.

--
            Andrew

Comment

Can you ping anything on the internet?

If packets are going out to the Internet but nothing is coming back it could be a problem with NAT. In other words if the packet goes out on a 192.168.x.x address it can't be routed back as it's a reserved address and will just disappear into the ether! The machine acting as the server should be changing the IP address of outgoing packets to a valid IP address, usually it's own.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Nope, all packets pinged from the client are timed out. We're now trying to uninstall the Sygate software on the client. Holly also installed Win ME btw on the client (hold your horses, she used a seperate partition for it).

And no, I didn't install the fix for the TCP/IP, and I can't do so either, for there's no real download option from Sybergen

Jordâ„¢

Comment

If you have a registration key, you can get the new version here.

--
                  Andrew

Comment

Let's say I have a registration key
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Nod nod, wink wink, say no more

Comment

More winks... I'm upgrading to sygate 3.11 by now. Will let you know how that one works (or doesn't)

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

jord,

The Lmhost file is for netbios-name resolution. (Name resolution for M$ networks)
                          You won't need it to go on the internet (wich uses dns)

Can you ping a webserver using the ipadres (like 216.15.144.42 for www.murc.ws) and not using it's dns name? If so it is a sure bet there is nothing filled in as DNS server at your tcp/ip properties of your client pc. You can use the dns server from your provider on your clients (check winipcfg on your i-net pc for the adress)

If you can't ping anything on the net, Sygate is just not routing anything (Is your internet-pc filled in as gateway on the clients?)

Grtz,
                          Ed

[This message has been edited by EdSki (edited 12 August 2000).]

Comment

Jord, an unrelated question, where did you get the Clyde GIF from which keeps appearing at the bottom of your posts.

For the uninitiated this is Clyde

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hi Taz, I got clyde2.gif and clyde4.gif from a CD that a friend (Jason Mackenzie) sent me. He's "boss" of Binary Zone Interactive (before that Binary Zone PD), a C64 PD business with its own magazine and all.

If it were possible I'd embed the Creatures MP3 here

------------------
                              Jord

[edit] Btw, I liked it more than the smileys, and it doesn't take up smileys in the posts. Here are all of them in a row, including the intro picture of the Creatures demo:

[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 13 August 2000).]
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X