DSL 24/7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 24/7?

Do you people with DSL service keep your PCs connected 24/7? I've been shutting off my service when I don't use it. Is there an advantage to keeping it connected 24/7? I thought it was advantageous from a security standpoint to disconnect.

Feedback anyone?

Cable, xDSL or even a modem, makes no difference. From a security standpoint, disconnecting is best measure there is, but then little things like S@H won't connect. If your online, your best defence is a good offence ie as long as you're secure (regardless of how your connected) you shouldn't have to worry.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My SETI client is no longer able to connect automatically to the server with the DSL system. Used to with no problems with my 56K modem. I have the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager set to Automatic and "Started".

Any ideas?

Comment

I'm not using anything but the default means of connecting and it works fine. But of course I'm connected 24/7 to the net
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Here is the best site I've found yet on DSL. It covers everything from security to tweaking. In fact there is so much there that I haven't read half of it yet.

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

RAB
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

RAB - Thanks for the link, I am collecting them and will read them as time permits.

Comment

Working...
            X