Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows ME is uploading something, but what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows ME is uploading something, but what?

Hi guys,

I installed Windows ME 4.90.3000 today, and if I now start an internet connection, it's starting to upload something right away.

I don't even have to open up a browser. I disabled the Net Monitor, checked all my TCP/IP connections and it's not that.
    I checked if it does so when the client PC in the network is on, but not logged in, and it does it then.

It's not seti trying to get a new WU, for I have seti disabled.

I'm uploading fast as well... try to upload 4Mb on a V90 modem within 8 minutes sometime

I only want to know if someone else has had this same strange thing, and what he or she did to disable it. Btw, if there's no patch for it (yet) I'll just put my ghost image of Win98 back, no problem with that.

But I'm just wondering what it could be.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Dunno if this is related to your problem, but WinMe ships default with the auto-update crap enabled. Within a week it'll finally pop up and ask you if you want to automatically update. Might want to go ahead and turn it off now to spare yourself the trouble.

Might fix your problem, although I'm really not sure.

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I'm now as far as that I get a whole lot of "program x or y has crashed in module <unknown>" errors.

Btw, thx, spoogenet, I tried disabling that as well, didn't help much. I'm still uploading a whole lot of non-sensical data. A firewall inbetween didn't help me either.

The most unusual error I had was "A startup was not finished. Restart the startup" ... hmmm, Bill, please mind telling me what startup? As <u>ALL</u> I did was uninstalling a couple of things which might be uploading this shit.

So, how do I know what is uploading anything? By pressing alt+ctrl+del I now see I have running: My AV, my sound, a program that keeps the time on my PC (downloading only!), Quickdesk, system tray and something called Winmgmt...

Where do I find the windows ME registering program?? Maybe it's trying to upload whole of my harddrive to M$

I'll hunt further...

Jord.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Find out about WinMgmt.exe here. Check your startup folder for an envocation of this program or more likely a management app (which is spawning this program). I haven't seen WinME and am not aware of what uses this service.

P.S. It looks like SMS and WBEM utilize WMI services; I don't know if those are now included with WinME and enabled by default. Here are the Registry settings for controlling the service.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 08 August 2000).]
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

WinMgmt is the most evil thing EVER spawned by the hellpits of Redmond, Washington. Kill it. Kill it NOW. I'll try to find the link for you that tells you how to rid your machine of it forever. I spent quite a while figuring it out for each and every beta of ME, then when Win2k went RTM I gave up entirely. *sigh*

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I uninstalled Win ME for the moment. I tried killing about everything in my system tray, taskbar and everywhere. Even running Win ME with the explorer only caused this thing to upload whatever it was uploading (and at speeds of 146k/sec on my V90 connection !!!) as soon as I had an internet connection

Yes, Jason, PLEASE...
            Find me something to kill this bugger in ME!! I'll hunt along as well

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I can tell you where it is in Windows 2000, although I don't know how similar WinME is. Take this route:

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

At this point, you should get a list of local services. Scroll down and you'll find "Windows Management Instrumentation."

Right click on it.

Select Properties.

Look around. You'll find a switch that gives three options: Automatic, Manual, and Disable.

Select Disable.

I did this and WinMgmt.exe disappeared from Task Manager. I rebooted and I haven't detected any ill or positive effects yet.

If I did something wrong, I'd appreciate if someone alerted me to it. My NT skills kind of suck.

By the way, if there is anything else stupid, redundant, useless, or counterproductive I can disable while I'm in here, again, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Originally posted by paulcs:
                By the way, if there is anything else stupid, redundant, useless, or counterproductive I can disable while I'm in here, again, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
                With about 75% of W2K being counterproductive, where do you want to start ?

Seriously speaking, I'm also interested in whatever tips&tricks to strip it down to the essentials.

Pertti

Comment

I doubt ME will have Admin tools, hehe!

Paul.

--
                  <a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.mccarroll/hosted/arena">The Pace3000 Arena</a>
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Oops! Before I forget,
                    <font size="+3">Where is everybody getting Windows Millennium?</font>
                    <font size="-2">Thanks, Paul.</font>
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Speaking of programs which grab internet connections I have noted this anomaly on my PC. I still have an old Compuserve account which I check from time to time, If I run the Compuserve program and click on the check mail program, it makes a connection using the relevant Dialup Networking script. If after checking my messages a quit from Compuserve it gives me a warning that other programs are using this Dialup Networking connection, one of the programs it lists is the Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar. Why on earth would this need to connect to the internet. I'm using Office 97 by the way.
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well, you're probably right about that.

What I like about W2K, and I just don't use it enough, is that the controls are fairly rational when compared to Windows 98. When I started searching for WinMgmt.exe, I looked first is the stupid places you'd expect to find it in Windows 98. Then I opened Control Panel, saw the Admin Tools icon, and said, "hey, I'd put it in there." And there it was. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

By the way, a 4 MB upload sounds a little suspicious to me. It certainly isn't a trivial amount of data. If Jorden were to install Zone Alarm, would it prompt him about whatever it is that's trying to access the Internet?

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Disabling Winmngmt keeps you from being able to use System Information Accessory, possibly among other things.

Comment

Paulcs, I installed Zone Alarm earlier when I had Win ME running, but it didn't give me a clue as to what was trying to get onto the internet. Nothing asked to be able to get onto the internet for the upstream. So I locked the internet and locked out all programs I had in the programs list to pass that lock. The upstream stopped.

But I couldn't do zippie-dee-do either on the net. And with every program I allowed to pass the lock, the upload went along again.

I'll try another Win ME install this weekend and see if I can find that Winmgmt program somewhere and disable it.

Btw, I got Win ME through a friend. Where he got it from? Anybody's good guess

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

You could try a port scanner. It wouldn't tell you what app was trying to upload, but it will tell you where its uploading to. I hope that you would then be able to configure your firewall to block any communication with that IP.
                              It should also give you an idea of how much data is really being transmitted.

------------------
                              P3-700E, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC100... Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X