Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich temperature is "normal" on a non overclocked Athlon 900MHz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich temperature is "normal" on a non overclocked Athlon 900MHz!

Im testing a MSI K7Pro and a Athlon 900MHz Slot A CPU and im wondering how hot it should be? (I know, I know - it shoulden't be hot at all )!

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    256 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I have an OC'ed 700@900 and it runs very hot. It's also a socketA chip. It runs at about 40c idle and 52c with seti or a game running. what is yours at?

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

When I was running my TB700@900 (SocketA) temp was about the same that helvetias (maybe a litle lower just after gaming).
      But generally athlons run quite hot and allso tolerate temp. Helvetia, what is voltage you're using ??? I used 1,75 V and It wasn't completely stable (UT hanged up after some time) and I didn't want to rise voltage so i lowered TB to run 840 (105X8) ...

------------------
      -J-
      -J-

Comment

It reaches 43 while idle under W2k and while using CPUstabilitytest it reached 46.
        The damn heatsink they sent with it is only approved for 850Mhz but it seems to do the job!

When i plug it in my box at home it have much cooler enviroment (lots a fans) and i hope it will run somehwat cooler.

BTW:

At wich degre do they (athlon cpu's) conc out?

------------------
        INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
        SBlive
        256 MB RAM CAS2
        SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid
          I have the same as you, with an fkk50 on the cpu. It tends to idle around 36 Celcius and rise to about 40 under load. CPU voltage at 1.9 (750@900).

------------------
          K7Pro(110), Athlon 900(750)@8.5,105fsb, G400 32 DH@max, 1.6BIOS and 6.x beta drivers, SB Live Player 1024, 256Mb PC100 CAS-2, Pioneer 103S DVD, 20Gig IBM 7200 ATA66, LS120, MS forcefeedback pro, CL WebCam III etc

[This message has been edited by Tony Andrews (edited 10 August 2000).]
          FT.

Comment

Tech,
            All Athlon's run hot. The Athlon 850 and up do not use the standard voltages like the little brothers which are set at 1.6Vcccore
            850's and up are default at 1.8Vcccore. Best thing for you to do is add a better HS with a copper cpu spacer or water cool that puppy if OCing is in your sites.

------------------
            Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
            CPUmark99 75
            FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Dave- whats the voltage on your OC'ed 700@900?
              hi

Comment

Well, actualy im not interested in overcklocking at all (900Mhz is enough for me )!

The reason is :

The HS the retailer sent with it is only certified for 850Mhz.
                And i want to know if the temp 43-46 (Celcius) is acceptable?

And at what temp they start to go "Fuzzy"?

Because it will take some time to wrangle a 900MHz certified HS from the retailer.

It's irritating (realy worse) to have to wait to tommorov because i forgot the antistatic cable at work - But waiting 1-3 weeks!?
                I'd go nuts, using a P550 when i have a K7900 laying at my bench right now (along with an MSI K7Pro)

BTW:
                Saw a post from some juvenile nut praising the Nvidia boards and the Ati boards somwhere on the forums.
                While i was testing the Mainboard stated above and the CPU i had a TNT2M64 with 32MB atached and i was realy surprised!
                That board couldent bring the first helicopter test in 3Dmark2000 past 25 fps.
                Even my G200 when i had a P450 grazed over 30 Fps sometimes in that test.
                Ok i admit that i hadent turned off V-sync.

I Hope my G400 will apreciate the CPU more!

------------------
                INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                SBlive
                256 MB RAM CAS2
                SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW

Comment

1.92v

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Whatever you do DON'T buy the "Golden Orb"for Socket A.
                    The "new" clip is so hard to put on,the only way is with tools.
                    It crushed my Duron.
                    It could do the same to any Socket A.
                    The design of it is stupid.
                    AMD asked for two things in design for heatsinks.14-16 lbs psi and an easy clip for installation.
                    The "new Gorb"must apply something in the range of 30 psi and nearly impossible to get on.Getting off,tools and brute force.
                    Go to AMD'S site,they list approved heatsinks.Here's one site that is approved:
                    http://www.taisol.com/
                    Ordered one from them,price is right design fits AMD'S requirements and is approved by them.
                    Weep for my little Duron.
                    Gorb bad,me angry!

Comment

Techniod,
                      It's irritating (realy worse) to have to wait to tommorov because i forgot the antistatic cable at work - But waiting 1-3 weeks!?
                      Whatcha mean by that?
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I wanted to use a grounding cable so i wouldent fry the cpu. (500$ worth)

When we ordered the CPU we demanded that the HS was big enough so the cpu would be OK.
                        So i dont want to spend additional mony because the retailer goofed up.

It's a CoolerMaster DP2-5G52
                        and the site say's it's ok up to 850Mhz

Contacting the retailer will not get me a better HS faster than a couple of weeks

And ordering a new can take up to a week depending on when my company orders new stuff.

BTW:
                        Why in the world would i want to risk overclocking a alredy very fast (and expensive) cpu when the actual gain would be marginal.

If i had bought a Duron 600 for 147$ i would probably overclock it but then i would have to stand using the dreaded VIA chipsets.

------------------
                        INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                        SBlive
                        256 MB RAM CAS2
                        SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW

Comment

Working...
                        X