W2K internet problem.... help plz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K internet problem.... help plz!

I promised my little brother that I would ask this question on the MURC so here it goes:

He just reinstalled W2K on his machine, and when he tries to connect to the internet, windows wants to use some 16 character long password no matter what we try !

The real password is only 11 characters, and even if he enters that and clicks the "connect" button, windows still uses the wrong password.

Anybody got an idea ?????
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Haven't seen this problem, but a little more info might be helpful for people to answer your question.

What password is it prompting for? Your ISP password? Is IE prompting you for the password when trying to dial?

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

The easy solution is just create a new dial up account. Several poeple me included have had win2k eat the dial up account for breakfast and loose the password, so I would presume it's possible for it increase the password.
      Also you're not trying to log on using the dial up account are you.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

All I know is that the old NT 4.0 uses 16 asterisks (*) to mask the length of the password used. Maybe Win2k does the same?

Jordâ„¢

Comment

I just upgraded on e of my NT4 boxes to Win2k, and it munched all of my dialup passwords....seemingly permanently. Creating new dialup accounts solved the problem. I kept the old ones, just to see what was different between the old ones and the new ones, and I can't see any difference, other than it won't keep the right pw. Go figure.

DS
          Games Box
          --------------
          Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
          ------
          Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
          -------------
          Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Windows 2000 does mask as in NT4. The password should be ok if you type what it should be then save it.

Paul.

------------------
            Pace3000 Network:
            Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
            Join SETI@MURC!
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

So basically.... Just keep trying till windows gets it right ?

Will do that!

Thanks to everybody, who replied
              If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I run a NT network and the longest acceptable password is 12 (limit in NT) some security options mandate 6 character minimum. Just a thought.....By default W2K uses the same pass as your logon when settting up a dialup connection (be careful)go from there.....

-Dil

------------------
                I'm not just a M(L)URCer, I'm also a client!
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                X