Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please help, this is what i've done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help, this is what i've done...

I am running win 2k pro and until recently was only having 1 problem with this operating system with rogue spear but I installed the service pack 1 and it really messed up my cable internet connection so after 1 hour with @home tech support the found that the tcp/ip protocol was messed up so we uninstalled it and rebooted and it works however, whenever I rebooted it would lose the connection.I got fed up and decided to uninstall SP1 afterall I picked the backup option that would allow uninstall. When I rebooted I get a screen that has 2 options for log in but I never got this before.It has user name,password,log on using dial up connection and shutdown and ok options. I never put in a user or password upon installation so it would always just auto boot. If I enter any user or password I get "system can not log you on now cause the domain **********(domain # there)is not available. This # is one that @ home guys had me name my computer yet they tell me they don't know why i'm getting this screen. I cannot get past this screen to access my system. I've tried in the F8 options upon boot also and even in safe mode it still gives me this.Can someone please help me cause I'm going crazy without my system working. Thank you
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

hmmm...I don't have win2k so I probably won't be too much help, but what was the domain they had you use? And why did they tell you to put in a domain? You are not on a NETBios network so you shouldn't need one. Have you tried the user and pass that you use for @home along with the domain name they gave you? Also, in the future, I'd put in a default administrator password so you can always get back in no matter who screws your system up. Also2, don't ever let the @home tech people help you out or you will find yourself(me inlcuded) with the growing number of people that want to walk into there office with a machine gun and kill them all(really, I'm not resentful ). Without the user and pass and domain, I don't know how else to get in. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helevitia- Well you gave me some hope with the @home id and password but I still get the same thing. Well I didn't want to post the domain cause I don't even know what it means and thought it might be a security thing but who cares at this point it was *deleted*. Hopefully I can get this figured out cause I havent backed up my 2 gigs of mp3's or all my wifes pictures- oops, guess I blew it now.I don't want to fdisk unless I nees to. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Kookstick (edited 11 August 2000).]
      Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

You are half right about the domain name. Delete it from this thread when you get a chance as it is how @home recognizes you as a user and someone can theoretically use it to give a second or third computer that they already have, access to the @home network. It's not a domain name though, it's just an ID. Trust me when I say @home has no clue what they are doing. I'm not familiar with win2k but I can tell you that the only place the ID is located in Win98 is you Computer name. It's strange that it will not let you in without logging onto a domain. WinNT let's you log in without a domain. I'd be willing to bet that all you need is the correct user and pass. Why don't you try 'administrator' as your user and your normal password(do you have more than one password you use? If so, try them all).

Dave

edit: so many fricken typo's

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 11 August 2000).]
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I'll give it a shot, thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X