CD-R problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-R problem

Friend of mine has a SCSI CD-R. The last few times she tried to burn a CD it came up with an error message saying "Tracking Servo failure". Anyone ever seen a message like this before? She can still read disks ok. She said the name on the drive was Dynatek, which I've never heard from. Their website seems to imply that they just make the drives and let other companies put their name on it for resale, so they didn't have much tech support help.

Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

I think that's a pretty bad error--not something you're going to fix with a BIOS flash or a software upgrade.

I think your friend is having a hardware problem, that the "servo" is the motor, and the unit will need to be serviced or replaced. Maybe it needs to be cleaned or lubricated.

I did some searching and what I found tended to support this theory. It was, for the most part, highly technical and arcane: repair documentation.

The stuff I found that I could understand indicated that this is a mechancial problem, it is not limited to ROM devices, manufacturers tend to replace units with this problem if they are still under warranty, etc.

I found reference to it on a European JVC CD-R FAQ. In a nutshell it said, "your unit is broken. Send it back."

Again, I'm not an expert on the internal workings of ROM devices and CD players. Maybe someone else has better news.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 06 August 2000).]

Comment

I agree with Paul, that's not a good sign at all.

Now Paul... do I need to say, ICQ? LOL
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks guys, unfortunately your opinions match what I was thinking. But I didn't want to tell her just how bad I thought it was until I was able to either find proof or get a couple of second opinions.

Rick
        Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

that the "servo" is the motor

close, the motor spins the disks, the servo moves the laser(s) or head(s) depending on type of device.

Either way it bad, bad!

Mark F

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie
          Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

A friend of mine had the same problem with his Yamaha SCSI CDRW - at first it would work with CDRW discs and not CDR, but gradually got worse. As it was outside the warranty period, Yamaha wanted £80 to look at it. He bought a new one instead.
            I've got it now to investigate, but after reading that I don't think I'll bother

Tony.
            FT.

Comment

A friend of mine had the same problem with an old JVC CD-R drive he had. About every 20 or so disks he burnt he would start getting the error message. He would just open up the drive, put a little bit of lubrication on the laser rails that it slides on, close it back up and he was good to go.

This fixed HIS problem, not sure that it'll help your friend's. Chances are she'll have to get a replacement drive anyway, so it probably won't hurt to give it a go and see if it helps. If nothing else it's kinda fun....

b
              Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

As far as lubricant goes, get some teflon spray and apply it to the rail with a cloth or a cotton swab. Spray the lubricant on the swab first. Don't spray into the mechanism.

While you're at it, clean off the laser lens also.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 09 August 2000).]

Comment

...and use an invertable air duster in the laser assembly...
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X