Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BE6-II First Timer

Hello,
    I just purchased an ABIT BE6-II and an Intel Pentium III 700Mhz today. When I recieve it in 2-3 days is there any tips you all can give about installing it? This is my first time making my own system and I was also wondering how overclockable it will be. Are there any good tips or websites with tips abotu overclocking out there?
    Thanks for your time...
    --Pappy
    rampoaks@bellsouth.net

Cool!!! I just got a new ABIT Board with the Soft Menu III and it has a lot of nice features, lots more than the older Soft Menu II.

It would be nice to hear from some of the more experienced Soft Menu III users out there for some tips on tweeking the Bios and Soft Menu III.

Anyways when you boot up for the first time it may not recognize your processor. You can tap the "DEL" key and it will take you to the settings. At the top of the Blue Page you'll see "Soft Menu III". Highlight that and hit enter. Until you get your OS installed you may just want to set the "CPU Operating Frequency" to 700(100).
    The only other setting available in the Soft Menu at this time should be "Spread Spectrum Modulated" and you should "disable" this. When you reboot it should show your P3-700.
    You should be ready to install your OS then.

Paul

------------------
    P3-800 @ 980MHz, ABIT BX133, 256MB PC133, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC,
    Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,
    21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),
    Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case
    and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

The Piii 700E will oc very well as long as one of the following sstep numbers is on the top of the package: SL454, SL453, SL45Y, or SL3XX. Any of these indicate you have a cB0 stepping processor core and will probably be able to get around 900-1000 MHz with the proper peripherals. Smart money says that if you want to achieve the highest possible fsb speed (processor speed), use a good aftermarket cooler and avoid using the integrated HPT controller for your HD.

Also, buy good quality RAM (PC133) at 128 MB per stick. This normally runs CAS2 which is fast memory timing. CAS3 is slower.

Get a case with good ventilation. Use a G400
      ( ) for video.

Increase the fsb speed from 100 MHz slowly and test the stability with a graphic-intensive program like Madonion's 3DMark.

Read (search) the General Hardware forum here for additional tips. There are too many to mention.

Here's a few links for you:http://www.review-zone.com/hardware/...ing/Page1.html
      http://www.overclockers.com/tips/
      http://www.3dfxcool.com/install/p3.htm
      http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/guides/p3_oc/

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 10 August 2000).]

Comment

Hello, thanks for comments... What I am dooing is taking all the stuff from my dell system -the processor and moving it to the new mobo and case. It has 384mb PC-100 ram, Maxtor 5,400rmp 12.9gb hd, G400 Max, & Sblive Platinum. I purchased my PIII 700 here: http://mssi.com/cgi-bin/hazel.exe?cl...&item=cpus.htm it is the Intel Pentium III 100 Mhz FSB, 700Mhz for $285. I have never built my system nor overclocked.
        Thanks...
        --Pappy
        rampoaks@bellsouth.net

Comment

Make sure you get new drive cables for "all" the drives that your moving from the DELL. I did this awhile back and even the cables from DELL are proprietary, missing a hole for a pin. They won't fit any other motherboards.

It's no fun to discover this at 10:00pm when you are trying to finish the job...LOL

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Look on the top of the cpu to find the sstep number.

Also, the memory may be a limiting factor in overclocking, depending on how fast it can run. With PC100, you never know. May be fast or may be slow. (hey that rhymes)

You may have trouble with the Maxtor HD when you oc. Pay attention to your file system as you increase the buss speed. If you start getting errors, be careful. I have heard of problems with some Maxtor HDs.

Also, don't be surprised if you have some problems with the SBLive and the G400. There are occasional problems which have been discussed repeatedly in this forum. If you have trouble do a search. Also, some people have had trouble with seating the G400 correctly in that MB. Make sure the card is fully seated. You may have to bend the mount slightly to get good seating. Again, search for this issue here. It has been beaten to death.

If your Maxtor is ATA33, don't connect it to the HPT controller. Use one of the standard IDE controllers. Save an interrupt and prevent the HPT controller from possibly limiting you on your ocing.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 10 August 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X