Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey! Any BH6 users out there Solve this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! Any BH6 users out there Solve this?

Background: I've got a BH6 mobo, Celeron 300A (ovrclked to 463), 256Megs of Mem, Two PCI network cards (RealTek & 3Com905b) + Diamond MX400 PCI on Win98SE.

I get sound studdering and occasional crashes, and I am sure it is caused by the fact the USB ports "share" the same IRQ/PCI Slot as the MX400.

Only thing is, I've already disabled "Assign IRQ to USB" function in the BIOS. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
    Peter
    ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002290.html

I have essentially the same setup... same cpu/MB, dual nics (USB on IRQ11 shared with realtek), Vortex 1 sound, etc. and dont the problem. But then Gurm knows how bad my eyes are, so I'm not truely sure. (just picking

Anyone else?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

IRQ List, eh? Good Idea: The important ones are:
      (Disabled all serial ports, don't need 'em)

03 Matrox Millenium G400 32Meg (Latest Beta 6.01)
      05 Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC (M$ Certified)
      05 PCI to USB UHC (Intel INF Update)
      10 Monster Sound MX400 (Latest 1.02 driver)
      11 DLink DFE-538TX 10/100 NIC (dates 1-12-2000)

Geez, ya know. You'd think that a Hardware Technician would
      remeber what the devil he put into his own computer. Not only
      that I goofed, I thought the problem was IRQ Conflict with
      USB. The Sound card ain't even sharing the USB.

Now that I think about it, I put the Realtech card in PCI
      slot 4/5 because (Guess why) it is NOT a BUS MASTERING DEVICE,
      and in theory should not cause any conflics (Anyone know
      otherwise?). The D-Link & the Monster Sound are in
      PCI slots 2 & 3 respectively.

BUT, the problem remains, Soldier of Fortune and Baldur's
      gate crash every once and awhile, just about any game when I enable EAX.

I wonder if one of them memory latency issues talked about
      with BH6 mainboards. I've got two 128Meg DIMMs, PC133 (can't
      recall the Chip issue, though) I'll try adjusting my
      CAS/Memory timings, and see if that makes a difference. I might
      also check and see if I am specifying IRQ's, and if so change it
      back automatic assignment.

Thanks for wake-up tips,
      PeterV

BTW: The system is acting as a NAT once and awhile, using of course, NAT32. If your interested, go to www.nat32.com for more details.

[This message has been edited by 2Whyzzi (edited 01 August 2000).]
      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Comment

I already am using Nat32
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

While you're screwing around with your system, get the G400 on an IRQ >8. Drop a NIC into one of the lower IRQ's.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

one better try and get the g400 to irq 11.
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Turn off pci steering and that will fix the problem

------------------
              Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
              Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

Ok, can we all settle down now? Disable PCI steering, indeed! Hmph!

Here's the way ABIT motherboards work:

AGP+PCI1 = IRQA
                PCI2 = IRQB
                PCI3+U66 = IRQC
                PCI4+PCI5+USB = IRQD

However, I highly doubt that the USB port (which will be detected by Windows no matter what, whether it's disabled or not) is causing the problem. It's not even on the same IRQ as the sound card!

I think it could be the BIOS, or it could be that the MX400 is glitchy. Or it could be the odd driver you have in for the PCI->USB UHC, whatever the hell that is. Why did you install any Intel .inf files under Win98SE?

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I gotta agree with GURM here. Altho I'm not experiencing NAY a problem. the USB which is enabled on my system (with a MilG200) doesn't seem to be effected, I'd be looking at Diamond for the problem.

Comment

Still at cross roads, I guess. I've adjusted the IRQs around as you kind folks have suggested, no dice. I've increase the SDRAM RAS/CAS values to 3, also removed the Diamond installed TSRs in config/auto (don't play dos games anymore anyway) unless some else can think of reason they should remain there... Anyway, it still studders, quirks and dies every once and awhile.

I am inclined to think it might be a Diamond driver problem, and partially game related. SoF has upgraded to 1.05, including new routines for EAX and A3D. I think there is a directx7 patch for Baldur's Gate.

I have also noticed that I use WINAMP to listen to music the volume increases/decreses when I surf the internet every time the "click" sound plays when I press a button within the browser. Switching between WAVE-OUT and DIRECT SOUND does not fix the problem, although in DIRECT SOUND the volume change is less noticable.

I guess I'll have to update my games and then wait patiently for the next MX400 driver update.

Thanks to all who responded.
                    PeterV

Comment

Silly question: could most of these crashes be EAX related? How's Diamonds EAX support? I thought EAX was a Creative Labs only thing, but WTF do I know?

Bart
                      Bart

Comment

EAX, if even available on the MX400, is bollocks. Don't use it. It's a crap emulation.

Turn off the stupid "start navigation" sound. It's irritating and messes stuff up.

Yes, it sounds mostly like audio drivers at this point.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, MX 400 uses ESS Canyon3D chip and "supports"
                          EAX 1, 2 and A3D 1.0 through Sensaura's API. this
                          is same API you would find on the Gillemont Maxisound
                          Fortissimo based on a yamaha chipset.

The main reason I bought the card was for retail
                          Coax Digital out for my Souround Sound Reciever.
                          It's supposed to offer 5.1 digital sound from
                          the specially modified Zoran's Soft DVD player.

Don't know if it works yet, bein' the budget guy
                          I am, I still have yet to get the DVD Drive and
                          TVout! - I am also a little irked that I cannot
                          seem to purchase the DH upgrade for my G400 SH
                          woutside of the Matrox Website for $89.... Oh well....

Anyway, Thanks again, folks!

Comment

Working...
                          X