Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a coppermine CPU die instantly on voltage over 1,65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a coppermine CPU die instantly on voltage over 1,65?

Im interesterd in getting a newer CPU and i dont know if my MB suports sub 2.0 volt's!?
    So the question as above stated is:
    Do the coppermines die instantly on 2.0 volt?
    OR how much will they take for a short time?
    (push powerbutton -> Se screen -> Press PSU main switch -> Curse loudly in swedish)

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    256 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

A while back Maggi told he once accidentally booted his C2 at 2.2v. It melt some of the glue around the chip I think, but it survived. I don't know how long he had it running, before he found out.
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I've been running my P3-700E at 1.8v for 7 months without any problems. I'm using an Alpha P3125 for cooling. It never gets above 34 DegC.

Paul

------------------
      P3-700E @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC,
      Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,
      21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),
      Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case
      and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Paul:

Why are you running so much voltage? I can run the same CPU at stock 1.65 at the same speed you run. I run 933 (133*7) with 1.75 volts.

The Rock
        a.k.a. Bart
        Bart

Comment

My processor won't run at 133MHz even at 1.85v. This one just won't go that high. I have run other P3s at 133 and above on this same system.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey Rock, isn't yours the FCPGA processor?? Mines an early slot1 P3-700E not all the early slot1's were good overclockers.

Do you guys think that the FCPGA's are better for overclocking?????

PAul

Comment

Sisyfos is right on that one ...

I have a Cel-566 which is supposed to run at 1.5 VCore, but below 1.8 volts it didn't even POST on my old MoBo.

I have the Asus P2B-S Rev 1.02 and according to ASUS it had to be at least Rev 1.04 in order to support Coppermine CPUs (which the new Celerons basically are except for half of its L2 cache being disabled).

Setting the VCore to 1.8 volts by setting the proper jumpers on my A-Bit SlotKET!!! let me boot into windows @ 100MHz FSB, giving me 850MHz core frequency and with standard HS/fan combo from Pabst I had it rock stable at that speed.

Wanting more juice (as usual) I tried 112MHz FSB and the CPU got unstable above 50°C ...
              therefore I attached a 2nd fan to the heatsink and upped the VCore to 1.85

Ever since I run at 952MHz CPU core and had no lockups caused by my OCing (the ones I had were caused by some buggy beta drivers )

That 2.2 Volts accident happened while I was visiting a friend of mine who has the Asus P2B-F Rev 1.10 (ASUS says need Rev 1.12).
              We wanted to check whether we'd get it running on his machine also, but we both had forgotten that he modified his MoBo a while ago, by adding jumpers for VCore selection.
              Those jumpers obviously override the Slotket settings and hence it didn't POST at all, leaving us quite frustrated ...

I went home and got a phone call from my friend a few hours later and he was quite worried if my CPU would still be alive ...
              I told him 'yes, I'm running it right now ... why do you ask ?'

He reminded me of his remodeling and that his jumpers were still set to 2.2 Volts, because his Cel-300@450 required it for stability.
              I instantly shut down my PC, ripped out the CPU, unstripped the HS and had a close look ...

There was a little black puddle around the die !!!
              Closer examination with magnifying glass revealed there was some very dark plastic kind of material between the die and the PCB which obviously got melted due to excessive overheating.

I'm more than happy that my CPU is still working properly after this little mistake we made and it's also still stable at 952MHz ...

If you're interested in more details about those Clerons, look here: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001980.html

Cheers,
              Maggi
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

running slot1 700e(cb0) with 1.75v for the magic giga on be6-2
                jim

------------------
                Canadian Royal Matrox Police
                Check it out!
                Check the sys!

Comment

this MC-1000 is amazing

While setting up my "spare" system, I decided to throw it on the P3-550e (cb0) that going in it along with an Abit bf6 and went right to 825 (5.5*150) first shot!

Expensive, but can be used on any type cpu by switching kits
                  jim

[edit]my 1gigga runs at 58f-64f[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Sgt. Matrox (edited 28 July 2000).]
                  Check the sys!

Comment

Paul:

I think the Celeron 533 / 566 have proven that the coppermine is a far superior overclocker than older slot 1's. 300mhz over spec ain't too shabby. My 700FC runs at 933 right outta the box with a stock Intel fan / heatsink (which I put on with a litte thermal grease). As long as you have good ram, a good mobo, and a video card that can stand running AGP 1x at 90mhz, 933 is there for the taking.

Mine:
                    Asus P3B-F + 128MB PC133 (2 different brands x 64MB)
                    Creative Labs GeForce 2

The Rock
                    Bart

Comment

My 500E runs at 1.75 volts no problem to get it to reach 667. (Also pushed the I/O up...)

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thanks Rock, I just ordered a P3-750E, SECC2
                        with cBO stepping from Atacom.
                        http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom...FAN2|FAN5|THER

It should do better than my older P3-700E which has cA2 stepping. Rumor is that the cBO stepping chips are from 933MHz wafers.
                        I'm going to stick with my BE6 mobo for awhile longer till the dust settles with these new chipsets. So one more slot1 processor for this guy

Paul

Comment

Lucky Bastards. My P3-750 (cA2) is running at 825 (only 75MHz over spec), 110 FSB. Failed to POST at 124, failed to get into Windows at 120. I didn't even think about trying 133 FSB (1GHz). I have a Tennmax P3STF. I've had it running at 825 for 2 days. No problems so far, temp hovers below 43C. Any tips to help me get it higher?

------------------
                          Intel P3-750@825 (7.5x110 FSB), Abit BE6-II, Micron PC133 256MB RAM (128MBx2), Quantum Fireball KA Plus 18.2GB, Promise Ultra66, Kenwood 72X TrueX, Plextor Plexwriter 8/4/32, 3Com Courier Analog V.Everything, Linksys LNE100TX NIC (ready for DSL!)Diamond MX300, Matrox G400MAX (PD6), DirectX 7.0a, Cambridge Soundworks Microworks system, Sony 19" 400PS, Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel, Epson Perfection 1200U PHOTO Scanner, Epson Stylus Color 850 inkjet, Addtronics 7890A w/ 350W Turbo-Cool PS

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 29 July 2000).]

Comment

Paul:

If those rumors are true about 933, then it would explain how easily I achieved 933 since mine happens to be the latest FC700 cb0 stepping. I'm still in slot 1 too; I actually love this slocket. It's like having a normal slot 1, only you get rid of all the unneeded black casing plus you get a wide selection of good cooling fans to pick from, and you can apply the thermal grease yourself. Good luck with the 750. Keep the curious posted.

Liquid Snake:

What kind of voltage adjustments did you make when attempting those speeds?

Bart
                            Bart

[This message has been edited by The Rock (edited 29 July 2000).]
                            Bart

Comment

Hey Bart, I have a Alpha P3125 which should work well with this new 750. I'm getting an OEM so I don't have to remove the retail heatsink/fan on this one.

Liquid Snake, it make take awhile to burn in.
                              It sounds like you have the voltage bumped up already by the 43 degC temp. You may want to consider an Alpha cooler. I'm using a 7896 Addtronics case with the same PC Power and cooling 350W power supply.
                              http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html

My P3-700E slot1 runs at 34 degC at 1.8 volts
                              at 124MHz using the Alpha P3125 in summer. A bit cooler in winter.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X