Dolby 5.1 - in software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby 5.1 - in software?

I was wondering if any of the DVD players (Zoran, PowerDVD), have support for decoding dolby 5.1 in software. I have a Soundblaster live, with the Cambridge FPS 2000.

thanks

I doubt it. It's not impossible, but it would require Dolby to be a little less controlling with their technology.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I had read that a version of PowerDVD did this, and Dolby made them change it.I haven't heard about it since, but it must still be out there somewhere.

Comment

I have PowerDVD 2.55 and WinDVD 2000 and both output Dolby Digital and DTS.

Some people say it is not possible, but, yup, it is.

You will have to check the readme to see if your soundcard is supported. But, the most popular ones are.
        Abit BX6 Rev.1
        Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
        192 meg RAM, CAS2
        13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
        6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
        HP8110i 4x2x24
        Pioneer DVD-104
        SB Live! 1024
        USB ZIP 100
        G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
        Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
        YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Not just outputting the signal, but doing the decoding?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

PowerDVD, WinDVD 2000, and even a H+ using early drivers support 4.1 output, that's 2 rear surround channels and a virtual center using 4 speakers. LFE is encoded into all 4 channels optionally. The trick is that none of these options include a gui, the functionality is present but you have to edit the registry to enable it.

It's much better than stereo, but obviously not real 5.1 sound. The H+ driver I mentioned also support sound cards with 6 analog outputs for real 5.1 sound, and I believe that PowerDVD does as well, not sure about WinDVD 2000.

Comment

Don't some of the SW players pass AC-3/Dolby Digital info? So it could be decoded outside the PC. No PC sound cards will drive 5.1 speakers so there is little value in decoding inside the PC anyway.

Mark F.

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie
              Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              and burped out a movie

Comment

Sorry people - test post - will delete in a min.

Paul.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

MarkF,

There are PC sound cards that are made specifically for this, one is called a Harmony something. If I could find one, I'd buy it.

Comment

Himself said:
                    " the functionality is present but you have to edit the registry to enable it. "

how would I do that?

Comment

I stand corrected

The card has hoke-ups for a full 5.1 setup but doesn't decode it? That's a strange arangement.

Mark F.

------------------
                      and burped out a movie
                      Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

I think thats how most goes. They expect you to plug it into a seperate receiver decoder.
                        I know (Creative) Cambridge Audioworks sells a Dolby 5.1 kit ( speakers, receiver and all), but i was really hoping for a 4 speaker/software solution. Pretty close is good enough for me - too many concerts, I must be half deaf already...-

Comment

Kii,

It varies, check the various dvd websites out there, look for something called DVDGenie it supports a few methods.

MarkF,

Yep, it's just like current 4 output cards, it just has entra channels for sub and center. They generally bundle PowerDVD or WinDVD with the cards, the sound is decoded in software. The H+ also support it in the 1.7 drivers, same deal, the sound channel is decoded in software and sent to the sound card's outputs.

Comment

Wombat, YES, it does the 5.1 decoding in either DTS of Dolby Digital. Otherwise, why would either of those two indicators go on, on my reciever, only when I play a movie that has DTS or Dolby Digital. Otherwise it is just normal digital audio and its stereo like with music, or, a game.

When I take a test DVD and have it go: Left Front, Right Front, Front Center, etc. That corrolating speaker is the ONLY one with sound.

Also, most software DVD players support a 4 channel down mix.
                            Abit BX6 Rev.1
                            Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
                            192 meg RAM, CAS2
                            13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
                            6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
                            HP8110i 4x2x24
                            Pioneer DVD-104
                            SB Live! 1024
                            USB ZIP 100
                            G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
                            Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
                            YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Working...
                            X