Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good routing software for 486

Hey,

I just ordered BANET DSL. I plan to connect multiple computers to it and use one of the many 486s that I have to act as the router. Since BANET is picky, I don't want to take the chance with a DSL modem/router/hub together. I figure all I need to do is network them together, and have the 486 run the necessary WinPoet application. But, I'm going to need some kind of routing software. Anyone know of some good (free would make it more good) software that'll fit the bill? Thanks!

-Mike

Why not check on www.tucows.com (use the search option on keyword router) for available software?

Jord.
    When I chose to go out
    I always leave the light on
    when I have to stay in,
    you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
    now that I'm living on my own,
    and while they've never been more right,
    can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Don't think you'll find what you need for free, but if intelligent enough to set this all up I'd suggest Nat32+. That's what I'm using for my three systems sharing a single IP with @Home cable service. I like it not only because it's ultra configurable for use with just about any type of connectivity, but it's relatively cheap (think $25) and uses the least resources to do it.

You may have a problems accomplishing this with a 486 tho. If you need more info, just keep posting your questions, I have lots of info on this subject
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You could also try an Linux NAT/firewall/ip-masq. box,

i have connected my cable-internet (@home) to my little network with an 386-16 mhz with 6 mb ram and 40mb Hd!!. it works great. I use Freesco ( www.freesco.org ), it's easy to setup and it's FREE!!
        PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

With a 486 you shouldn't have any problems running Linux and use IP Masquarading to connect your PCs. It's all free exect for download time and installation time/headaches.

Don't dismise a harware solution though. I have the Linksys router w/4 point switch(about $150), works great distributing braudband connections, is easy to setup (nothing to it, unlike setting up a software based router), and you don't need a dedicated system (with two NICS) running to use it. Just a thought.

Mark F.

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 07 August 2000).]
          Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

good idea Mark, check it out HERE
            jim

------------------
            P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
            Abit BE6-2
            TwinMos 128mb pc-133
            Matrox Fusion Plus F800 AGP
            Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 08 August 2000).]
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The hardware router would definitely be the best option. The problem is that I don't know if my DSL service will work with it. I wonder if anyone here has Bell Atlantic Infospeed and uses this. Thanks.

-Mike

Comment

something you might want to check....

When I signed up with Zyan/Covad, it was supposed to be 384d/144u for one ip

It turned out to be 384both ways and when I attached my 9 port hub, it just worked!

I've had 4 computers hooked up at once, each gets assigned it's own ip automatically and all can be on the web at the same time

Of course they split the bandwidth, but I really only have two comps on at a time normally
                jim
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The Linksys router should work fine. BANET uses PPPoE? I think that the Linksys router supports it.

Comment

It does, along with a ton of other features and it's OS and processor independent.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I checked out the stats on the router and it looks perfect for what I need. I'll report back after I get everything setup using it. Thanks a bunch.

Now if only you guys would buy me a G400 =).

-Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X