Running winipcfg Winsock fails to initlise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running winipcfg Winsock fails to initlise

Right on a gateway pc running on a network using windows 98 se when you run winipcfg it comes up with a fatal error message and says winsock fails to initlise.
    The winsock files are there I've took them off another machine just case they were the wrong version or corrupt although the version conflict manager says they are okay.
    It just won't go I've looked at Microsoft technet and Gateways home page but no joy there either.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I suggest removing all your adaptors, protocols and servcices in Network properties, reboot and re-install them. Make sure you use the newest drivers for your modem and NIC.

Then stand on your head and chant, "I like my computer, networking is fun," twenty times to appease the god of networks.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've done all the removing of networking and files and it still says bollocks. I didn't try chanting though. Normally a hammer through the hard drive works and stops the user from bothering you again.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You haven't got Novell's Zen Client installed on it have you?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Nope no Zen works just plain 98SE
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Up
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Try a clean OS install... yeah that's the ticket! :\
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thats the offer I left to the owners machine.
                Pointing out that will leave him with a faster cleaner machine i.e less junk floating around.
                However I would rather solve the problem whether it's replacing a few files or doing a little reg hacking. If I come across the same problem in future at least I'll know how to fix it.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Have you tried that M$ thing-a-ma-bob, that you can tell what prog isn't working, and it will reinstall that part from the CD? Sorry about the technospeek in italics above, it's late and I can't think or the more pedestrian name, and am curantly to lazy to look it up; so I hope you know what I;m talking about. I'm not sure I do at this point.

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie
                  Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

I think you mean version conflict manager yep and everything is fine so it says. I found one corrupt file that had nothing to do winsock but windoze replaced it.
                    At the moment it's still no go.
                    I tried Microsoft technet but no joy tried Windows 98 annoyances one posting in the discussion forum last year and no replies.
                    The easy solution looks like an re-install. Still waiting for the guy to send me the gateway info so I can send the tech support an email.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

up.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I searched everywhere on the web for this one and still no clues. Someone must have solved it.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Have you checked the gateway's IP address? Tried pinging the gateway PC? Does it come up with packets being lost anywhere??

Have you checked the network card's TCP/IP address, and if it's working okay with the network card installed? have you checked the software's manager so it says it's directing the network to the right TCP/IP address as said by TCP/IP & Winsock on the network card?

And last but not least, if you checked all that, check for a conflict inbetween the network card and any other card in the PC, check if the gateway software isn't out of date to use with a certain Winsock, and check if the whole of Win98 SE isn't corrupt somehow...

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

The machine configured to use dhcp. However I can't find what the ip address because I can't run winipcfg since the winsock fails to initilise.
                            I replaced the winsock files run version conflict manager and everything checks okay.
                            There isn't any conflicts with other cards I've checked that out.
                            I could check the server logs to see if it's got an ip address but I'm away on holiday at the moment.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Up. Must be the problem of the year this.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X