Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need info on P3-700E on BF6 with G400...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on P3-700E on BF6 with G400...

Jake:

I think the P3 700 is the best buy for CPUs right now. If you DO get a retail box, be sure to look at the product code on the box. If you see SL45Y at the end of the product code, you'll get the latest stepping (rumored to be made with 933mhz wafers, whatever that means). Thats what I bought recently, and it runs solid as a rock with a standard Intel fan/HS at 933mhz (it's so solid that I'm starting to believe that wafer thing). Before I bought a GF2, I ran my G400 on a 124mhz FSB (83mhz AGP), so I can't really see 90mhz AGP being a problem. BUT I can't speak for the Abit mobo since mine's an Asus P3B-F. Go buy that 700 now.

Bart
    Bart

I'm running a slot-1 P3-700E (stock cooling) in a BF-6.
    It ran rock solid at 133Mhz FSB, my G400 MAX coped fine. Unfortunately, I was using borrowed PC133 SDRAM and my old PC100 can't hack it

I've been having some cooling probs just now tho (I'm back at stock speed). I doubt its related, but stick a probe (the one that comes with the BF-6 will do)on the back of the G400 chip and keep an eye on the temp.

You might have to set the G400 to AGP 1x if you run into probs.

I have no idea about the PCI latency, but I think sharing with the USB controller should ok (I haven't had any probs, but I havent tried the USB zip drive on this box yet)

------------------
    P3-700E, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC100... Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

For FCPGA -
      Retail # - SL45Y

OEM # - SL3XX

Both the Retail SL45Y and the OEM SL3XX have lots of good data in the CPU Data Base at
      http://www.overclockers.com/

The Retail SLOT1 SL#- SL454 is also a good overclocker and you won't need the slot adapter.

Also, if your not using USB disable it in the Device Manager.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 06 August 2000).]
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi Jake.
        I have the same network card u have, the lantech FastNET/TX rtl8139, cheap but working ok in 2 PC's.
        and it's sharing IRQ 9 with the USB, but no problems, i don't use USB anyway.
        Also SANDRA reports the same thing for me, high latency of 128 and says it should be decreased to 32 or 64. I didn't care much about that .. as long as it's running ok.
        From other posts on this forum and other sites the P3-700 is doing pretty well ( Durango managed to get 1050 !! )
        good chances that u can get a cB0 stepping which is good for overclocking.
        BTW; y didn't u overclock ur P3-450 ? i tried one b4 and it worked stable at 600@133 FSB but i had to up the voltage at 2.2
        GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

I think you'll like it.
          chuck

------------------
          ABit BF6, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Need info on P3-700E on BF6 with G400...

Hi!

I have been thinking about replacing my venerable P3-450 for some time now. I almost bought a P3-600 some time ago, but decided to finally get a G400 32Mb in stead. Up until that point my trustworthy and reliable old G200 had been running for 1½ year in my PC.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers to whether this is a "best buy" for me considering my current setup.

I would of course have to buy an Abit Slot1 to Socket 370 converter too.

I was thinking about just slapping a Goldenorb cooler on this mutha and would be quite happy with running it at 133 FSB (931 Mhz internal). Maybe the retail boxed set cooler will even suffice?

My G400 should be able to handle the 89Mhz AGP speed, right? I don't really want to change my motherboard again... just to get a new AGP divider.

This is my current setup:

MGA-G400DH 32Mb Millenium
            Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. RV
            PIII-450
            128Mb PC-133 SDRAM
            Plextor 8/20 CDR.
            Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard
            Adaptec AHA-2940U2W
            Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD
            Quantum Fireball ST 6.4 GB UDMA33 HDD
            Realtek 8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

While I'm posting, does anyone know how to change the PCI latency on a BF6?

SiSoft Sandra reports that my NIC possibly "hogs" the PCI bus because of a default latency of 128. It should be no more than 32. It is not possible to change the setting in the Motherboard bios or using the Eprom programming software that came with the NIC. It's a Lantech FastNet/TX 10/100Mbit PCI card. (El-cheapo).

Another question: since I'm running out of PCI slots, which is the best IRQ for the NIC to share with? This is my current IRQ list. As you can see the NIC is currently sharing IRQ with the USB controller.

0 System timer
            1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            2 Programmable interrupt controller
            3 (free)
            4 Communications Port (COM1)
            5 Vortex AU8830 Sound Blaster Pro Emulation
            6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            7 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
            7 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
            7 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
            8 System CMOS/real time clock
            9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
            10 Adaptec AHA-2940U2/AHA-2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller
            10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
            11 Vortex AU8830 PCI Audio
            11 Vortex AU8830 Multifunction PCI Platform
            11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
            12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
            13 Numeric data processor
            14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            15 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
            15 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06 August 2000).]
            Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
            ----------------------
            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Working...
            X