Opinions on ABIT BE6-2 vs BF6 mobos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on ABIT BE6-2 vs BF6 mobos

I need to build my wife a new system so she can take her current one to her classroom before school starts.

I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade mine a bit too

I'm getting a P3-750E, SECC2, cBo stepping for my system. I'm currently using a ABIT BE6 mobo and am also going to get some STEP PC-150 Dimms for my system for overclocking.

Since I'm limited to Slot1 mobos I need to find a good overclocking mobo. I am considering the ABIT BE6-2 or the BF6 since they both have the Soft Menu III feature.

Also are two 128MB DIMMs better than one 256MB DIMM for overclocking. These will be PC-150 from STEP.

And we are going to get a SONY G400 to replace the monitor going to the wife's classroom YEHAWWWW!!!!

Paul

------------------
    P3-700E @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC,
    Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,
    21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),
    Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case
    and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

You know I cast my vote for the BF6. No highpoint controller to monkey things up. Great FSB bus options, adjustable IO voltage, adjustable cpu voltage. It has been a great runner for me. It is also cheaper than the BE6 2.

Rags

------------------
    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

You can always add a Highpoint controller card to the BF6 to make it equivalent to the BE6-2. If you know you want HPT66, go with the BE6-2. If you want something else, go with the BF6.

The 128 MB SDRAM modules will run faster than the 256 MB modules (CAS2 vs CAS3).

If you want to use an Alpha or other large cooler, the BE6-2 will loose one of its RAM slots. I don't think the BF6 will loose one with these coolers.

Comment

I'm running the BE6-2 with my p3-700@1050 and the BF6 with my p3-550@770, both are very stable (obviously )

The highpoint is good for a boost in hdd performance as long as you're not going to be running with more than 133fsb, after that, you may run into problems

jim

------------------
        P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
        Abit BE6-2
        TwinMos 128mb pc-133
        G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208
        Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
        SB Live!
        Winblows 98se & DX7
        and 384k DSL!
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

BF6 all the way!
          Use 2x128 not 1x256 for over clocking.
          chuck

------------------
          ABit BF6, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Uhm - careful on that last one (2x128 vs 1x256) on OC'ing...

There is some concern with OC'ing 2-sided SDRAMS when there are 2 of them placed side-by-side in that the heat generated doesn't allow the inner 2 surfaces to cool down, causing erratic operation from time to time.

I've had good luck so far with mine (2x128), but - I've also heard from some who've experienced this trouble.

Just a thought...

Guyv

Oh and Paul, Give her the BE6, Get a socket 370 PIII and give the BX-133RAID a try for yourself - it really ROCKS, and leaves some room for growth (upward CPU speed, that I believe the Slot-1 lacks)!!!!

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 31 July 2000).]
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I'm looking at the BX133-RAID as well since FCPGA sockets are the future for processors.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

DOH - replied while I was editing...
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950

Comment

Your reading my mind Guyver. I just ordered a P3-750E, cBO stepping for the BE6 which just may end up being her system. I'm also thinking about getting STEP's PC-150, 2X 128MB.
                  I have 2 IBM HDs both 7200,ATA/66 which will work fine with the BX133-RAID mobo. Then all I need is a Ultra PAL35t socket cooling kit from 2CoolTek.

Paul

Comment

I would recommend an Asus board over an Abit

If Abit ever get the hang of quality control I might consider recommending one of their mobos.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice gang!!!!!!

I finally decided not to get another slot1 mobo. The BE6 that I currently have will go in the wife's system. I just ordered the ABIT BX133-RAID and a P3-800, 100MHz, FCPGA with cBO Stepping.

Paul

Comment

good choice, I just set up a celery II 600 on a bx-133 board for one of my hockey buddies and it's now running @ 900 so they're very stable
                        He's also using the RAID feature with two 15gb 7200 rpm's, very nice
                        System 1:
                        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                        Epox 8K7A
                        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                        SBLIVE 5.1
                        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                        3Com Hardware Modem
                        Teac 20/10/40 burner
                        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

You are much more likely to get your overclocked ram to run at CAS2 if it is split 2x128.
                          Though my ram is 1x256 PC133 and runs fine at 148-150 it will not make CAS2 even at 133.
                          Check out Anand's site for ram tests.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Good job!!

Did you order your's with a specific fab week? Where did you order it from? Did you order an OEM or BOXED? Did you get extra cooling?

No, I'm not trying to write a book... I just seem to make blunders about every other time I order... (The PIII-600, PIII-700, and now 850 that were all early releases that don't OC very well)

Guyv
                            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                            - 6.1 Digital Audio
                            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                            - LS120 IDE Floppy
                            - Zip 100 IDE
                            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                            - NEC FE950

Comment

Hi Guyver, I got both my processors from Atacom.
                              http://www.atacom.com/program/frame_...24_129_104_177
                              They won't run out and get you the SL# but they do show if their processors have cBO stepping. The prices aren't too bad either and they have a large selection of OEM and retail versions

I got a retail because 2CoolTek is out of Alpha PAL35t coolers right now. I'll probably get the Ultra PAL35t kit with the 38cfm fan when they are in stock again.

I got my memory from STEP Thermodynamics
                              http://www.step-thermodynamics.com/

I was interested in sending the processor there if it turned out to be a good one but they no longer provide that service. I was however, able to get their PC150 at cost.

Really nice people at STEP

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X