700e (cb0) & CUSL2 problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700e (cb0) & CUSL2 problems...

Just got my 700e yesterday. I'm having trouble getting it working on the CUSL2 (bios 1001 beta 6) above 896 mhz. All I have installed is a g400max, LS120, and 128mb Crucial pc133.

The temp for the processor at 896 is 21c, so I know heat is not the problem. Anything above that the system either does not post, or it keeps beeping. I think the motherboard can't take the pci greater than 42mhz.

If I jump it to 133:100:33, the system does the same. (No post or beeps) Same goes with 133:133:33.

One oddity is that if I jump the voltage from 1.65 to 1.70 or 1.75 at 896mhz, the system won't post/starts beeping.

Any ideas? or do I call 896 the tops for this?

It's all in the ram. I have Muskin Rev. 2 PC 133 ram on my CUSL2 and 700E Cb0 and can easily hit 133Mhz. My roommate was having problems hitting 133Mhz on a CUBX with a 600E cb0 that I could run at 133 with my ram , His just doesn't cut it. He's in the process now of getting ahold of the Muskin ram I got and sending back his Crucial ram as he doesn't beleive it truely works at 133Mhz.

[This message has been edited by YoKoMo [1] (edited 01 August 2000).]
    PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

Wow, I thought pc133 was pc133 was pc133 I'll see what other suggestions people have, and if none work I'll order a stick of the Mushkin and see what happens. The hard part will be to convince crucial to return my money for two sticks of pc133 that i bought 4 months ago

Comment

Have you tried one single DIMM of memory yet??? Also try leaving a empty slot between two if your using 2 128MB DIMMS. Sometimes the placement can cut down on the noise.

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Funny you should mention placement. I just started messing with that part. I tried putting just 1 double-sided dimm in slot 1 then slot 3, still no go. Tried another dimm with the same results.

I threw both back in slot 1 & 2, and now when the computer boots it only registers 128mb of memory...

I tried reseating them, no luck Maybe I fried one and it'll give me a reason for Crucial to replace it with a pc133 cas2 dimm

Comment

Try slots 1 and 3 then leave slot 2 empty.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'll give that a try in a little bit. I don't see why 1&2 don't work now... when I first tested the chip at 700 I had slot 1&2 filled and all 256mb was registering.

Comment

Possible damaged socket?
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Put the the 2nd dimm in slot 3, so slot 2 is open now. Only 128mb registered...

Comment

Is it by any chance ECC DIMMs.
                    I've seen postings on usenet about people having trouble with CUSL2 and ECC (the 815 doesn't support ECC).
                    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Yep, both are ECC. I know that 815e doesn't support ECC. Shouldn't the dimms just operate in Non-ECC mode?

Comment

Yes, but some posts in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus indicate that it only reports half the amount, ie one 256 DIMM reports 128 and so forth.

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 01 August 2000).]
                        P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Working...
                        X