@Home IE5 hack and setting up a proxy...HELP =P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Home IE5 hack and setting up a proxy...HELP =P

I have been pulling my hair out today trying to figure these out....

First off...when the cable guy set up my @Home account, he ran some shit on my IE5 and hacked it all up with @Home trash. I have managed to get rid of most of it...BUT...If it got to "tools>internet options>connections>lan setting", the browser keeps resetting an automatic configuration script I don't want it to use. I can disable the script, and everything works the way I want it too, but as soon as I turn off the browser, and fire it back up, it resets itself to use that stupid config script again.
    I imagine they do this so the idiots cant screw up their browser...but I want to run through my own proxy setup (webwasher), and when that auto config script runs, it won't use webwasher. Thoughts?

This brings up my next question.
    Webwasher will run as a proxy server and/or client. I am trying to get my other PC to proxy through it to share the cable modem. The two machines are networked and working fine, and the cable modem (on it's own NIC) works fine on my main machine...now I need the other machine to use it too. I cannot coax webwasher running as a client on machine2 to see the proxy server end on machine1. Any ideas?

I also tried to use 98SE's "Internet Sharing" crap. That was a total failure as well....

(BTW - anyone know anything about HP plotters and JetDirect cards?)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Kruzin,

Sounds like you got something running in the background that you don't need. I know your a smart guy, but just in case, make sure you don't have any @home crap running in the startup folder. Secondly, make sure you check system config utility under start>programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Info and look under the 'Tools' menu for System config Utility. Click on the 'startup' tab and uncheck anything form @home an restart your system. It's been so long since I'/ve had @home I odn't really remember what they try to load.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I just checked IE5 and I have the smae problem. I went through the registry for the last half hour and changed a few thigns, but that didn't help
      I will go mad with you. This is why I use Netscape I know that IE is superior in a lot of ways, but there are advantages.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Dave,

I don't think this is an IE problem. I believe it is a problem with installing the @Home software, and it taking over all the IE settings. IE didn't change the settings, @home did.

Rags

------------------
        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

You haven't gone something like Microsoft proxy server (It maybe called this) software running or something like this. I had a similar problem at work until I spotted this lurking in the control panel. A quick uninstall and Ie5 came back to life and the automatic script stopped reappearing.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I don't know how to fix it. But I can tell you that that is why I went dsl insted of cable.
            My uncle had the same problem with his @Home setup.
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.
              Still no joy.

Hele-
              Nothing is runnin in the background or startup group that should do that sort of thing. It's almost like an .ini for IE is making it reset that aotu config script...but I don't know what's doing it....

This is not my main concern though....I'm mostly wanting to get my other machine to share the cable modem. The machines see each other, and ping fine. Machine2 just won't see a proxy running on Machine1

Pit-
              No, no MS proxy stuff running that I can see.

I have now tried yet another proxy program, and it still doesn't want to work. I'll try again tonight...got too much other stuff to do today than mess with this.....
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

To get rid of that proxy that sets its self. Run Regedit, GOTO Hkey current user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings.

Click on Autoconfig proxy, and delete the value. Also click on auto config url and delete it's value. Don't delete the key itself.

Rags

------------------
                Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Kruzin,
                  If you can spare the change, the linksys router (BEFSR41) works great and is a firewall too.
                  It is very easy to setup and will protect you from the most of the wierd things ISPs tend to do these days. eg. PPOE
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

If I could spare the change, I'd just get a cheap hub, and rent another IP address from @home
                    I may just go that route next payday...

Comment

Kruzin,
                      Calculate in the cost of the rented ip.
                      The router is a dhcp client (or you can set it's ip address).
                      Then give your PCs local addresses. (This makes the firewall function better).
                      That way you only need one ip address from @Home.
                      chuck

PS also, it's a switch not just a hub.

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 09 July 2000).]
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Or you can do what my friends do and just buy a cheap hub and "steal" an ip from @hell

Comment

cjolly-
                          I saw one at CompUSA today. For what that thing costs, I can rent a second IP from @home for about 2 years AND buy a small 4 or 5 port 10/100 hub!.
                          It ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Kruzin,
                            Pay no attention to the Chump-USA price.
                            It's $50 cheaper online.
                            chuck

PS I was "borrowing" a second ip for a while, but then swbell started enforcing it's 1 ip rule. That's when I put away my 5 port switch and got the router.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Kruzin, I use a cheap 10/100 hub for my three computers each has its own IP address. @home still only bills me for one. I'm not complaining. I did get rid of the software by copying down all of the network info, format c:, install IE. Then manually enter the necessary network info. When I first got @home they had static IP addresses, not the proxy service.
                              Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                              Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Working...
                              X