Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft has the file I need, but won't let me have it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft has the file I need, but won't let me have it!

The file I need is a Win98 patch:

CDVSD.VXD
    Version 4.10.2001
    Dated 12/04/98

I'll spare you the TWO days long process that got me here, but my problem is EXACTLY described here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...04.ASP?vote=1&

I get a non-fatal bluescreen on bootup if a disk is not loaded in my DVD Drive, and MS says the above updated file fixes this issue.
    This occurs on my new MSI 6195 mb/Greebe enhanced Athlon 750 with the latest miniport drivers, AMD busmastering, latest board bios, etc. etc.

WHY WHY WHY do they plant an item like this, show you the file name, and then REFUSE to provide it?

Warning: There is an older Win95 version of this file available on several websites including IBM and a couple of AOL sites. This Win95 file royally screwed my system and it took me hours to straighten it out.

Anyone know where I can find the 4.10.2001 version of Cdvsd.vxd?

Of course i could just leave a CD in the damn drive, but c'mon!!
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

I am sure there are fellow murcers who have the same windows version, and so can provide you the file

Comment

Duhhh!

Thanks DZeus

As the knowlegebase article says, SE fixes the problem...Anyone out there kind enough to mail me the SE version of this file?

It just occurred to me why they won't post the file...they want me to BUY SE!!!
      Man, that's evil!

P.S. You'll find the file in Windows/System/IOsusys

THX in advance!!

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 27 July 2000).]
      Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
      Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

The 4/23/99 version is on its way if that will help.
        RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

CKing and RAB:

No joy with either suggestion (or link) there are apparently (and according to the M$ article as well) some other file associations involved.

CKing: The file version you linked me to is the same version as mine, and is slightly older than the one recommended in the M$ item.

RAB: Apparently the single file is not enough. Yours is newer than the one mentioned in the article, and while it didn't break my OS (as the W95 version did) it did prevent DVD Movies from loading properly.

Anyway, thanks for the trying. I'll keep a stupid disk in my drive when booting in the meantime, which prevents the problems described.

A stupid fix, but hey, we're all doing what Massa Bill wants anyway, so this is par for the course.

Comment

Isn't there a Napster kinda program out there that looks for that file??

Or maybe we should ask Aace.. He found most of my quieries within 2 minutes, after I spent 2 hours looking for it

Ace !!!!!!
            Come over !!!!!
            We're looking for a file called CDVSDUPD.EXE

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Bixler,

ever heard of FTP Search ?

Dunno if the list contains the right version for you, but at least there are four files available for download and one of those was uploaded in November 99 ...

Cheers,
              Maggi
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yup and if that doesn't work out you basicly can use any search engine, just search with "cdvsd.vxd". This is the way I search for keyfiles to register programs.

Comment

Bixler, I think taht you should play their same game.

They try to **** you?
                  Well, go search from a friend a copy of SE and install it.

Or, if you want to do something better, go to buy a computer magazine who has the patch on the cd.
                  'Cause Window SE is a new version of windows (to buy) and a free upgrade for Win 98. I have here a lot of cd with that on.

------------------
                  Italian Guy, Bad English

D'ya want an Italian version?

Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

From cking:

This doesn't make any sense to me... (?)I extracted that file, and I got a .VXD that exactly matched the version you stated
                    you were looking for in your initial post (4.10.2001, dated 12/04/98, 30,395 bytes).
                    The version in SE is 4.10.2222.Can you restate exactly which version you need for the patch?
                    I really appreciate the help here guys, but I've rechecked and re downloaded the file you pointed me to cking, and under properties the file version from that site is 4.10.1998, which is the same version as the one that came with my version of 98FE.

RAB e-mailed me his SE version 4.10.2222 and as I stated above, a simple overwrite and reboot broke the loading sequence for playing DVD movies. (a green screen hang just prior to first display of video)

File version mentioned in the MS article:

Here I found a reference to the .exe file Jord mentions above:
                    http://www.thepage.org/WUnew.shtml

This .exe version lists the following files:

cdvsdupd.exe

CDVSD.VXD
                    CDVSD_UN.INF
                    QFECHECK.EXE
                    QFECHECK.HLP
                    W95UPD.EXE
                    W95UPD.INF

But this looks to me like a W95 version...in any case there is no link to this file, it is merely an informational post which points you to M$'s public FTP and, (of course) the file is not there.

And Yes, Maggi and others who have suggested searches, I have done so. Many pages referencing the problem, but NONE that I could find had the patch that MS refers to in their Knowledge base.

Copy from their article linked above:

RESOLUTION

A supported fix that corrects this problem is now available from Microsoft, but it has not been fully regression tested and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information on support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

http://www.microsoft.com/support/sup...w/overview.asp

Date Time Version Size File name
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    12/04/98 04:21p 4.10.2001 24,100 Cdvsd.vxd

NOTE: Due to file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the above files may also contain additional files.
                    The bolding in the above cut and paste is mine.

Of course, Massa Bill's support services all require the cash register to ring, so there you are. This is an acknowleged bug in W98 fe, and they want me to pay them money to get the fix.

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 28 July 2000).]

Comment

Sorry guys. I was out (as in *cold*, asleep) at about the time you posted this message. When I get home I can perform the search to see what I find.

Alternatively, I have an unused (now, anyway, since I also have the full Win98 SE install disc) Windows 98 Updates CD that you can have, if I can get the mailing info to send it to you, Bixler. This is the $9.95 (shipping cost) CD that MS sold to upgrade me to Win98SE from Win98 stanndard. It's just taking up space in one of my CD cases anyway..

------------------
                      Ace
                      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                      Gainward Ti4600
                      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ace:

I'll be glad to send you a little spot of cash to cover your trouble.

Anything to keep from sending any more tribute to M$ for what I should have recieved in the first place.

My E-mail Addy is in my profile, drop me a line, and THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!

Comment

CKing:

I just figured out the confusion...When you right click on the file and click on properties, under "general" on the first panel of Properties the file version is, indeed, 4.10.2001, under the version tab and "File Version" it's still listed as 4.10.1998--which is where I was looking. Your version of the file has fixed that problem.

Thanks for the pointer, and sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Does this mean you don't need the CD any longer, Bixler? (or want it. I was just getting ready to mail it off- had some family things that delayed me, but I can still send it out if you'd like`).

------------------
                            Ace
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

This fixed my immediate problem. cking's file is the one I needed.

If it's no trouble, send it on...there are bound to be more patches, and I'm still fighting through some minor tweaks before I'm through.

Thanks for the courtesies Ace.

And thanks also to RAB and cking for staying close. I'll be posting in with another bug as soon as I've gotten a response from Matrox T.S., but i'll start a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X