Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P3V4X or P3W-E with Marvel G400-TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P3V4X or P3W-E with Marvel G400-TV?

I would like know if anybody had one of this mobo with the marvel card 7 if is happy with the board.
    I have a pIII 600 B (slot 1, secc2, Katmai, FSB 133) a 128 SDRAM 133 Mhz, A Scsi controller Flaspoint BusLogic 930R & a ISA modem ( courrier v everything from Usrobotic)
    Before I have a Aopen ax6bc pro gold but this board is instable with 133mhz & i cannot use the marvel card with it, It crash after few minutes.

Thank you very much.

Nancy

I have a general-use box setup with the following:

ASUS P3V4X
    PentiumIII 667mhz Coppermine
    256megs SDRAM PC133
    Matrox Marvel G400TV
    SoundBlaster Live
    LinkSys Fast Ethernet
    USB IntelliEye Mouse
    Win98SE

VIA chipset boards require a li'l special attention. I followed suggestions to load the 4in1 4.20 drivers EXCEPT for its AGP component. Grab the AGP v4.03 drivers (available separately) and install it. The system's been running beautifully.
    Carter
    ------
    [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

I think the P3W-E is based on the i810 chipset. That means no AGP slot, so you couldn't use your Marvel or any other AGP card.

Since you're using a Slot 1 CPU that runs on a 133 MHz bus, your options are limited by its form factor and the bus speed it runs on. Either you stabilize it on a BX board, splurge for an i820 board and *Rambus* (Ick! Yuck! Boo!), or you turn to the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset. Since you couldn't get things stable on the AOpen board, the BX chipset is probably out of the question. That leaves the VIA chipset and the i820. The Asus P3V4X may be the best of the VIA boards. It's certainly the fastest, and it fully supports SDRAM.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 31 July 2000).]

Comment

Working...
      X