• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor harddrive users read this!

I've just stumbled upon this :
    http://www.maxtor.com/technology/technotes/21007.html

on Maxtor's site.

Appearantly all newer Maxtor Drives are shipped with reduced (or should that be increased? in any case impaired) seek times in order to reduce noise.

I'll have to try this when I get home (after a nice backup )

I'll post results when done.

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 24 July 2000).]
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Thanks! I'm not a Maxtor user, but I know people who are.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Kewl..

If you don't mind can you post your benchmark after doing this and how much louder the drive has become?

I have 2 30gig 7200rpm maxtor drive and would love to give this a try..

------------------
      Got-Rice?
      P3-600E o/c 852
      G400 Max
      256 PC133
      2x30gig Maxtor 7200rpm
      Got-Rice?
      P3-600E o/c 852
      G400 Max
      256 PC133
      2x30gig Maxtor 7200rpm

Comment

Ok, I came home early from work, I was really looking forward to boosting my seek times

I made a full backup with Ghost, it took almost 15 minutes, way too long IMO

This being completed I made benchmarks with WinBench 99:

Access Time : 10,1
        Bus : 5010
        High End : 16300
        AVS/Express 3.4 : 11100
        Frontpage 98 : 47500
        Microstation SE : 18700
        Photoshop 4.0 : 9480
        Premiere 4.2 : 13900
        Sound Forge 4.0 : 33300
        Visual C++ 5.0 : 17200

Then ... with excitement pounding in my veins (ok I admit it I have no life ) I booted from a bootdisk and entered the commands:

Code:
         AMSET /off
        I though, well the hell with noise, I want SPEED, and pressed
        Code:
        enter
        Much to my dismay I was greeted with the message

Code:
        Drive does not support Acoustic Management
        God damn Maxtor @#ยคยค!!&%@@!

My drive is on their list

I'm pissed off !

Ahh well, no point complaining about it, but I was really looking forward to this

I hope some of you will succeed and gain the improvements I was hoping for

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I also got:
          "Drive does not support Acoustic Management"
          on my 30 gig 7200 rpm DiamondMax...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have 5 Maxtors and when the 100 UDMA upgrade was announced I bought a drive on the "List" and it didn't upgrade! I just bought an IBM Today.

Comment

Might be their software utility has a glitch and they will post an upgrade which works with your drives...???

Comment

What will increasing the seek time do to the life expectancy of the drive? Surely, shorten it somewhat. Is it significant? Is there any change in the Warranty? I haven't used newer Maxtor drives (still have Maxtor 340 MB SCSI in my old system), so I'm just asking out of curiosity and to give you something to think about.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well, I've mailed Maxtor and await their reply.

Regarding the warranty issue, Maxtor has put a disclaimer in the description stating that they cannot be held liable for any damages ... yadda, yadda, yadda ....

I doubt that Maxtor would have the utility on their site if it posed any serious threat to their drives.

And they do offer support for the utility, I guess it's a bit like the overclocking utilities for graphics cards ... You want to tweak it for speed, you run the risk ...

Comment

Actually, it sounds to me more like their "underclocking" their drives to make them quieter. Running them at their design speed should be fine, unless they actually "underclocked" them for another unstated reason (such as reliability problems) and are using the explanation of reducing noise pollution as an cover. If they don't get much louder after tweaking, then their explanation is questionable.

Comment

Uhm, I remember Maxtor when they used to be known as MiniScribe, I didn't think much of them then and I've yet to be convinced by them since. I think I'll stick to Quantum, maybe not the fastest but definitely the most reliable drives I've used. I'm sure there's probably someone who's had completely the opposite experience
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Actually, I find the noise explanation quite believable as the drive is VERY quiet, and considering the margin the DM40+ had to the competition when it appeared (before Quamtum LM and IBM GXP75) didn't require them to sacrifice silence for performance.

As you can probably read, I like my Maxtor drive a lot

I just hope that they fixes the utility so I can tweak even more performance from my disk

I really cannot bear that my harddrive is the only part of my PC that is not overclocked (well, ok my CD-rom drive isn't either, but I'm working on that ...)

Comment

I also have a 30G Maxtor (53073U6), according to the readme it's supported, yet I get the same error message. I don't care about the seek noise at all, in fact I like to hear when the drive is busy. I wish it could reduce the engine noise. Kinda reminds me of the Amiga days where you had the same kind of utils to reduce floppy drive noise, and make it faster at the same time.

Actually in the readme the drive is not included in the list, but on the webpage it is.

[This message has been edited by MURCer (edited 24 July 2000).]
                          ][|_||\|ยง0\/\/

Comment

CHHAS - I'm more inclined to believe they sacrificed performance for an increase in reliability than for a decrease in noise. MTBF is an important selling point, not noise level.

Comment

Brian R.:

Hmm, you've got a point there.

MURCER:

I've heard about some Maxtor DM40+ drives making a lot of 'engine noise' as you call it, I was quite worried myself when I ordered mine, luckily mine's whisper quiet, the seeks are barely aubible and I cannot hear any idle noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X