Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Windows98SE without a floppy drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows98SE without a floppy drive.

OK, I know this is a simple one. How do you setup Windows to NOT look for the @#$%ing floppy drive. I've a system running right now that does not have a floppy, but Windows insists that there is a Removable Disk A:\ drive in the system.

The Floppy Disk controller is disabled in the BIOS.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Did you just disable the controller itself, or did you actulaay indicate that there is no disk drive on a or b?

And did you change the boot order to C drive only? if its trying to find the a: drive and none is there, its going to throw a fit.

------------------
    This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 25 July 2000).]

Comment

Some possible bios settings you might want to check:
      Boot Up Floppy Seek Enabled/Disabled
      Report No FD for Win95 Enabled/Disabled

Also in Win98 go to System Properties > Performance > File System... > Floppy Disk uncheck the Search for new floppy disk drives each time your computer starts
      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I have the same problem myself... it's driving me crazy, everytime he tries to look for the A: drive the pc locks up for about 10-20 secs.

I tried all the setting possible for Disabling it. like...
        - Boot Up Floppy Seek Disabled
        - Report No FD for Win95 Disabled
        - Floppy Disk control Disabled
        - Search for new floppy disk drives each time your computer starts is also unchecked

Sure hope someone on these forums knows how to disable it.

I have this prob in Win98/ME btw.
        -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

Moleman, I don't know if it's a typo on your part but,
          Report No FD for Win95 should be Enabled

BTW, if you've ever had a FD installed in your current Windows setup, then try to clean your C:\WINDOWS\Recent folder.
          Windows will, from time to time, try to confirm the endpoints of those shortcuts, and some of them may point to the A: location.
          Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I know this is stupidly simple, but as no-one mentioned it explicitly above, on the basic setup screen in the BIOS set a: and b: to 'none' or 'not installed', as well as all the above.
            FT.

Comment

Inside the device manager, under drives, is there anything listed, ie.. 3.5" floppy, etc... if so, disable it (or remove it), check under a safe mode boot as well, and remove it if listed.
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Sysifos - Report no floppy disc should be disabled.

Comment

Brian R

Why? If you want a floppyless Windows, shouldn't the bios report that it hasn't got any?
                  Maybe the wording is just whacky.
                  Don't you want no reporting of no FD for no Win95 Unenabled/Disunenabled/What are you talking about?????

Comment

Sisyfos - Here's a quote from my BE6-2 owner's manual. This is all I know about it:

"Report no FDD for Win95
                    When using Windows 95 without a floppy drive, please set this item to Yes. Otherwise, set it to No. The default setting is No."

Take it for what it's worth. I don't know if you can extrapolate to other OSs or not.

Comment

I don't think we ain't in no disagreement
                      But you're right, the setting is only valid if Win98 sees it the same way as Win95, and who knows???

Comment

There's such a big difference between the first edition of Win95 and Win98 that I don't trust anything to extrapolate, although many times it does.

I agree that he should try it, but with a floppy drive, I have always set it to no. I have never had a system without a floppy drive.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 26 July 2000).]

Comment

okay I made a little Typo... Report No FD for Win95 should be Enabled.

I installed Win98/Me without a floppy installed so that can't be the problem, in the device manager there is no Floppy drive or controler listed so I can't disable it.

I guess it's impossible to disable it

Comment

Look at this:
                            http://support.microsoft.com/support...-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Floppy Drive Displayed When No Floppy Drive Is Installed

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thanks for that link Steve.

now let's hope MS will fix it in the future... altough WinME still has the same problem and I think Win2k too (not to sure tough)

we'll just have to learn to live with that nasty bug

Comment

Working...
                              X