X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyro Review

http://www.extremehw.com/previews/kyro64/index.html

Some good numbers on an Athlon 650.

I am convinced tile-based rendering will be THE technology used in graphics-cards in the future. While Kyro isn't what this technology can be when fully utilised, I am convinced that VideoLogic (or NEC/STS Microsomethin) wil have a huge advantage over the competition in the next generation of 3D graphics cards, because it has developed drivers for 3 generations of tile=-based rendering cards already.

I still have some hope left G800 is using a tile-based rendering engine... otherwise I hope the successor of the G800 will use one, and will also have Voxel-acceleration (also one of the coolest things for a 3D card I can think of currently... imagine DF fully accelerated and anti-aliased... YUM YUM!)

Comment

One thing to notice is the excelent 16 bit dithering quality. Really nice. Am I wrong or did the Gx00 series early drivers had that kind of 16-bit quality and then become grainy like the rest?

The performance is astonishing for a 110 Mhz core, but why the hell couldn´t they make it like 150+ Mhz in .25u? Everybody is doing it so why can´t they?

And I particulary liked that black spaces in ladders in Counterstrike. C´mon, if it wouldn´t have transparence problems it wouldn´t be PowerVR, right?

And yes I also thing that tile rendering is the way to go. I surely would like a G800 tilerender 200Mhz core/200Mhz DDR memory quad pipeline...

Comment

110 MHz doesn't mean anything. You can't compare MHz to MHz with different architectures.

Besides, there's always the little nasties of die size, process, and dynamic circuitry, and heat, and current............

It's a lot worse than you think -- that's what I've learned the past few months.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
        X