X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFT monitors - hot or not ?

Any opinions ??
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

i think that they are worth it!!

i have a samsung 17" tft(..<$2000 @ cdw) on the secondary head on my g400 max(..syncmaster 770) running under win2k and it is very nice. sitting side-by-side with my 21" panasonic e21, they look about the same size. a couple of other nice aspects are the small footprint on the desktop and low power consumption, the samsung uses about 40 watts verses the panasonic @ 240.

i am willing/able to go as high as <$3300 dollars for a 20" tft to replace my panasonic on the primary head on my "as-soon-as they are available G800".

i've been shopping around and the only 20" i've found is the nec 2010 something with a .38 dot(..verticle), i'd rather have a viewsonic, princeton or samsung. with a dot pitch of .26 or less, and hopefully with a usb hub in the base. one other thing that is important is that it must be able to be used with either interface(..DVI and VGA) like my samsung.

thats' it for me!

chucky

Comment

I think they actually run quite cool. Much less heat than CRT's.

Comment

Rags,

agreed!!

chucky

Comment

Nobody ever thinks about therir greatest benefit: for those of you who hate low refresh rate flicker, TFT screens lack flicker at any refresh rate because of how they draw the screen and the slower response of the pixels. I am very sensitive to flicker, and although I could not afford one now, I figure theyll be almost as cheap as CRTs in a couple more years.

------------------
          This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

I have heard that they do not perform as well for gaming as CRT monitors. Smearing or something. Any comments? Anyone do a head-to-head comparison?

Comment

I always wondered about gaming on flat panels myself. Seemed the persistence would cause problems but only read vague reviews on the subject. Last winter I started looking into getting a "large" 16x9 (SGI maybe) panel for HDTV and computer use. Kinda cooled off on the idea after looking at the expense, connectivity, lamp life and cost, dead pixel problems, scaling, etc. Finally decided I wouldn't be happy using this as a display in a HT room, even temporarily (waiting for the right RPTV). As costs come down, I still wouldn't mind using one just for the computer. So how about that gaming?
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Personally, I think they suck for gaming, but they are getting better. I am sure that in the next few years, we will see big advances there.

Rags

------------------
                Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I used to sell them and I would agree they look lovely, they are better for your eyes and if you do work long hours on a vdu they are much easier to look at but........

they are not great for gaming yet, the refresh rate produces a blur if you turn quickly in fps and if you are a mouse flicker (oooerrr) like me you spend at lot of time looking at a blured image.

------------------
                  P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,BT ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Comment

also if you are'nt right in front of it the colour/brightness drops off very quickly (viewing angle is quite accute)

hope this helps
                    P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Comment

even though i am a big fan of tft panels they do suffer from "slow responce". i've switched mine to see for myself. i fired up sof and in a fast paced, rapid fire situation, it looked like crap and can be detremental to your cyber health(..my targeting reticle dissapeared!).

like rags said, the next few years will see some major advances...like organic diodes!

chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 26 July 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X