Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Geforce DDR performance? hot k6-2-550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Geforce DDR performance? hot k6-2-550?

First off this IS a Matrox forum, so GeFarce (hope you don't mind me referring to it as that) cards aren't REALLY covered here, but being the nice folk that they/I are/am I'm sure we'll/I'll be able to help. (phew, I think I stuffed that up a bit)

Basically when it comes to 8000, you can pretty much say no PC will come close, maybe 6000 - 7000 from a Dual P3-933 256MB PC133 RAM Geforce 2 GTS 64MB bitch of a computer, although I've never seen a score in the 7000 range. 3000 is still reasonable, you;d think you'd get at least a bit higher, it is kinda suprising, I don't know much about 3DMark99 much at all, maybe you should run 2000 and tell us what happens. The temperature seems to be ok, my CPU is constantly at about 54C my Mobo lower at 18-20 but I've seen people say Mobos in the mid 20s should be ok. The thing about using new bits and old bits is you can get bottlenecks easily, although there doesn't seem to be any in your sys. don't know anything about your Mobo. DVD playback should be pretty good, so not sure why it's choppy, it could be the IDE drivers as you said. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to throw a few suggestions in here) You can probably give an IRQ listing and although I wont be able to help beyond saying those two things are sharing and they shouldn't be, others in the forum probably will be able to help more. If you need to know how to post your IRQ listing check out <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000035.html">Jorden's FAQ</a> about it. I have taken so long in writing this (been doing other stuff at the same time, that heaps of people have probably already replied).
    P3 500 @ 600
    256MB PC133 RAM
    64MB PC100 RAM
    Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
    Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
    WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
    G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
    Monster Sound MX400
    512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
    Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P3B-F
    Logitech X1 Speakers
    Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    19.1G IBM 60GXP
    8.4G Seagate
    1.57G Fujitsu

Thanks Werdna.
    I know this is mainly a Matrox forum, I've been contributing on and off for years. I also know there are many kind folk who will help with anything in this forum. I'm quite biased towards Matrox cards myself (having had the original Mystique, a G100, G200 and G400) but I couldn't justify the price to him given the expected performance of a DDR Geforce.
    As to 3d mark, it's actually 3Dmark99max, which gives much bigger numbers than 2000, so can't be compared directly. On my k7-900, G400 32DH @max levels, i get around 7-8000 (can't remember the exact numbers at the moment). I'd like to run 2000 on the system, but can't until Tuesday.
    I guess the ide drivers may help the DVD as it may make DMA available, but I shouldn't think it is the reason for the low 3d performance - unless some knows better!
    As to the IRQs, nothing is conflicting, all things in their usual places eg sound , video, usb etc all >= 9.
    Cheers, Tony.
    FT.

Comment

Heya Tony, have you tried the 3DNow optimized dll for 3DMark 99 Max? If not I can zap it over to ya. It will give that score a sweet little boost!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Slow Geforce DDR performance? hot k6-2-550?

Hi
        System: Asus P5A-B, K6-2-550@2.3V, 128Mb PC100, 30Gig Seagate Barracuda, SB PCI128, CL 2*DVD, Creative Geforce Pro 32Mb DDR, Compaq V75 17", FPS1000 speakers.

This was built using some new bits, some old hence the strange mix.

First the easy question: is 48 Celcius ok for this CPU with a mobo temp of 26?

Next, the Geforce only gets a 3dMark99 score of ~3000. I have the latest BIOS (1010), latest agp miniport, latest graphics drivers from the creative web site (Nvidia 5.30?) all on Win98SE (original IDE drivers - perhaps I should change this?). Shouldn't this card be getting 8000? DVD playback is also very choppy.
        There are no IRQ conflicts or any other problems I can see.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tony.
        FT.

Comment

Tony, have you disabled D3D Vsync? Unlike OpenGL, the option has to be enabled via the Coolbits reg hack. And unlike 3DMark2000, I don't think Vsync is disabled by default in 3DMark99 Max.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Tony,
            I've gotten as high as 2500 on 3DMark99 with a G200 and a K6-3 450, so 3000 does seem very low for a DDR GeForce. A couple of days ago I inadvertantly turned off bus mastering on the G200 and was only getting about 1200 scores. Turned it back on and scores are now back in the mid 2000's Could you have possibly done this same thing on your GeForce? I don't know the setting up for it, but is there an equivalent to bus mastering on its setup?

RAB
            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Hey Guys. Thanks for the input.
              Greebe - I'd appreciate that. Do you think it'll double the score? I thought 3dmark used the appropriate dll automatically!
              Paulcs - the drivers gave me that option separately for D3D and Opengl. It made a small (<10%) difference. BTW I have memory clocking available without using 'coolbits'!
              RAB - I couldn't find any reference to bus mastering in the options, but I haven't trawled the registry yet.

Cheers, Tony.
              FT.

Comment

Up.
                FT.

Comment

Tony,
                  Since your DVD player is an older one, try turning off DMA for it in device manager. Also, are you still using the hardware DVD card? If so, its really not necessary if you use the Matrox player from your driver disk. Take out the hardware card and see what happens.

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

RAB - no hardware card in this system, just whats detailed in the top post (+an ls-120)

Everyone:

I think I'm happy now.
                    I did a fresh install (had a few problems with the legacy SB drivers causing lockups, but thats disabled now and not a big issue), using the latest agp and ide drivers from scratch, installed the 1204 PCI-128 drivers and upgraded them to 1207, then installed the Geforce CD and put the 5.30 drivers on top. I tested with Wintune98, 3dmark2000 and winDVD (1.3.5).

Wintune98 gives the sort of scores I remember from when I had a k6-2-500, HDD was impressive, ogl was dire until I unchecked v-synch and ok after.

WinDVD seemed much less jerky than before, probably as I now have the correct ide drivers which allows DMA for all his ide devices.

And finally, 3dmark2000 gave around 2480. Looking at this post http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008887.html
                    it seems the best G400 score with this CPU is 1580, so the Geforce is performing over 50% faster, which is what I was expecting.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

LOL
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X