X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia sucks, I can prove it!

http://hypothermia.gamershardware.com/nv_bs.htm

-Micko

Sounds an awful lot like how Microsoft make you use their logos n stuff when you become a backoffice thingummybob.

I wonder if Matrox do the same... I know that Matrox told me to stop my web site or stop being a beta tester...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I think 3dfx is the only company that is going about this the right way. I would think the crap would have stopped from Matrox when Dianne left.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Oh - it was kind of understandable - I did (for a very short period of time, I might add) control Gtech's site. This is a matrox fan site, and Matrox were worried that I might leak info, which is fair enough. (Besides in the end I didn't have the time to do it anyway, but if someone else does.... )

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

What did you do when they said that
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Steve,

Matrox told you to stop your Website? Interessting.... But understandable if you see that it would be beta hardware you're testing, but i think a NDA is the only thing needed.

Mega

PS: So, there is no Gefarce 2 MX for me. NEVER NVIDIA!

Mega
            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Steve, you're leaving a few parts out.

When we signed on as beta testers, we where told up front that on-line publishers/web masters where not going to be allowed into the beta program. This is why Ant was never made a tester, even though he has more Matrox cards in his flat than half of this forum combined .

The reason for this is that MR (Media Relations) has their own dealings with web authors, and have their own NDA. They have their official press releases, and schedules. Matrox just does not want to mix testers and reviewers, and their NDAs.

When you first took on G-Tech, you where told it would probably not fly with MR and management. When it didn't fly, you where then given the choice to stay on beta testing, or give it up and deal with MR as a web publisher, as all web sites have to. They did not try to impose what content (outside of your signed NDA) you posted, or whose as banner you displayed. They just asked that you go one way or the other, but not both. Fortunatly, I managed to stradle the line here, because I'm not publishing any articles, or doing any reviews...but there are those at Matrox who would prefer if I did not test AND moderate.

To me, this is not even close to the kind of strong-arming nVidia does. nVidia is flat out being bully-ish and bossy. Matrox is just being conciensious. As testers we hear and see things that MR would never want a web site to publish. If someone where to be testing, and publishing a "fan" page, MR would have little control over what is said about their stuff. Example: A new feature is introduced into PD that people have been asking for since G400 came out . As a tester, you see that feature, and publish an article about it. People are happy to hear what's on the way. Something goes wrong along the testing cycle, and that feature is removed. Now people are pissed. Joe Webmaster, not being a beta tester, never saw that beta driver, never reported about the new feature, nobody gets pissed.

Now I know, and you know that you are smart enough to know what is OK to publish, and what is not. But the MR monkeys (who are probably reading this right now ) are like Agent Mulder..."Trust no one"...

So, no....I don't think Matrox is in the same dark pit that nVidia is. I have never heard of them trying to force a web site to remove competition's ads, or try to bully them with unfulfilled promises (at least not since Diane left and moved to nVidia, where she is doing a good job impersonating a Nazi)

whew...
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Question there, Kruzin: How come you can be a moderator on a Matrox forum then? Wouldn't this give you power to delete any thread that poses too damaging info for/against Matrox, even without us knowing? (But you could know!!)

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Think what you want Jord.

Ant knows I would not do that on his forums, and Matrox knows I will not delete threads just because they don't like them. They have their own forums to control. They have no control over what is posted here (aside from those who have signed NDAs).

Besides, I doubt I could delete any "damaging" info without someone noticing, and reposting it.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Besides, I doubt I could delete any "damaging" info without someone noticing, and reposting it.
                    Indeed. A coverup is always more damaging than whatever is being covered up, as MaximumPC found out.

-Q

Comment

Wow, that is evil. I didn't see any link to Kyle's article, which was referenced in this letter, so here it is:
                      http://www.hardocp.com/articles/nvid...f/ethics2.html

You might read the first paragraph and say to yourself "I read this a month ago." No you didn't. Read on, he updated it.

-Q

Comment

Hmm the part about webmasters not being allowed to be beta testers is not true for all though is it, but we won't go into that

To chip in with the ongoing saga of graphics companies PR teams the best one by far that I have ever dealt with is 3dfx, no contest. They have provided me with reference boards whenever I have asked even though the site is quite clearly Matrox specific, never demanded anything in return and have been extremely helpful whenever I had any problems or questions to ask.

On the other hand others have conned and abused me, but I handle them in my own way. In the general scheme of things I expect these companies to be demanding and manipulative of sites like this and anything better than that I treat as a bonus. I have no delusions about these companies treating these sites as their buddies who they look after, if they can exploit them and control what they say they will. This is why I always cringe when the MURC gets referred to as a "fan site", in my view the murc is a user group, if Matrox want to contribute constructively they are more than welcome, if not it's no great loss things will carry on the way they always have.

Comment

I have a theory that some of the reason we all like Matrox so much is because they're blue, the blue they use is very nice, blue makes you calm (that's pretty much common knowledge) where as Nvidia uses bright green, which looks pretty crap to me.
                          P3 500 @ 600
                          256MB PC133 RAM
                          64MB PC100 RAM
                          Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                          Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                          WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                          G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                          Monster Sound MX400
                          512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                          Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                          ASUS P3B-F
                          Logitech X1 Speakers
                          Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                          Logitech Internet Keyboard
                          19.1G IBM 60GXP
                          8.4G Seagate
                          1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Paul
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Aehm... Werdna?,

I don't think i choose my card because of the package colour. In fact I mostly buy their OEM Versions so there is no box.

Personally i like Matrox because they are quiet. They don't make much noise about their cards, of course the could but we Murcers don't need that/want that.

Hehe, blue is good, my mother says the same

Mega
                              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Working...
                              X