Networking for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking for Dummies

I was wondering if someone could recommend a book, something well written, that explains the different protocols, ports, methodoloy, definitions, etc. and, maybe provides some history.

I'm not looking for a guide on how to set up a network in Windows. I've done that. All this talk about hacking the MURC, port scans, etc., has got me wondering about this stuff. For instance, I know what a port scan is and why it is done, but I haven't the faintest idea of how to do it. Hacking is just a mystery to me.

I've been messing with PC's for about three years, and I have no formal computer science or engineering background. I'm just a hobbiest, so I'm looking for something that covers the basics. If the book is too technical, and presumes prior knowledge that I just don't have, it'll probably go right over my head.

I guess I'm looking for something as broad as possible, written in something approaching plain English. Does such a book exist?

Thanks.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Hell, I'm a professional computer tech and I don't know who to port scan and hack...well, I know some hacking tricks, but not enough that I could take down a remote computer. If I can compromise physical security I can hack almost anything, but that's part of my job

I'm sure there are a ton of hacker resources on the web. I've never looked for them, but I hear of them all the time. Go to a warez site and you should be able to dig a few up.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

http://www.fm.cornell.edu/computer/security/index.html

Comment

I just cited hacking as an example of the pitiful gaps in my computer education. I'm interested in networking in general--and if there is a book out there, it should be as general as possible.

Pictures and big print would he helpful as well.

Thanks for the link, Rags. It looks like it should be helpful.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._doc/index.htm

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

btw-I should have just sent you the whole enchilada, not that what I sent you isn't enough to read already Here is the rest:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ntwk/index.htm

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hi Paul,
                I work for an ISP and i found this book really useful.

Advanced Networking Concepts
                by Michael J Palmer & Robert Bruce Sinclair
                published by Course Technology

These guys aren't diciples of Microsoft, so they actually manage to paint a pretty untainted picture of networking in general. It was definitely worth the money.

Hope it helps,

Giskard

Comment

Working...
                X