Damn USB mouse.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn USB mouse.........

Anyone have any experance troubleshooting USB mice? Over the past two days I've been having problems with my Microsoft Optical Intelliexplorer mouse. The mouse quits working and the "eye" gets dark or the whole thing shuts off. I pull out the mouse and replug it back in and it seems fine. I'm not sure if its the mouse or if its the USB port..since its happened on both of them. It comes and it goes and doesn't have any set reason why it would be doing it. Any suggestions would be appreated!

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB DOA....

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I think someoneelse had a similar problem on this forum some weeks back it maybe worth having a search.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Be sure to download the latest drivers if you don't already have them. V3.1. A lot have people have reported that this solves the problem.

Also be sure to check for mobo BIOS updates and make sure that the USB port is enabled in your BIOS.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

ver 3.2 drivers are out now,
        http://www.microsoft.com/products/ha..._2/default.htm

Comment

And if the new drivers don't work, get the USB to PS/2 converter and plug it in in your PS/2 port. That way you're sure your mouse works in Windows Safe Mode as well !!

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hmm... on my old MVP3G5 this IntelliMouse with IntelliEye wouldn't work in safe mode in the USB port, but now that I've got a CUBX it does. Any ideas? I also had the random mouse freeze up problem on the MVP3G5, but the CUBX seems to have cured it.

Comment

USB 2.x maybe?
              The original USB doesn't support USB devices in DOS and Windows safe mode. A bit strange when you have a USB monitor and mouse
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

No, not USB 2.x yet. The Asus boards have a setting in bios that's called 'USB Legacy Support'. Enable this and you'll have the USB mouse in DOS. Of course you'll have to enable the USB IRQ also.
                P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

SF, as far as I've experienced, that setting is for USB keyboards only...

What good would it do you to go to Windows safe mode without even a keyboard?

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Had the same troubles, check the post
                    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002057.html
                    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

Jorden, it also works for the mouse.
                      At one time I was wondering, why I didn't have mouse support in Win98FE/SE/ME setup, so I fiddled a bit with the bios settings, and 'USB Legacy Support' did the trick.
                      This was on an Asus P3B-F, but in earlier bios versions it worked slow as hell. Latest versions (1005 and up)sped it up though.
                      Maybe I shouldn't have been so simplistic in my previous post, because I think that DOS support also depends on the real mode driver.
                      At one time I used the DOS mode Partition Magic 5.0, which has got build in Mouse support (IBM v8.? can't remember). If I even tried moving the mouse, the computer completely froze.
                      Conclusion: This USB thingy is a bit on the occult side. On my new Asus CUSL2 it sometimes took forever (annoying piece of time) to boot, scanning the USB ports and making my Intellimouse Explorer do a most spectacular light show. I'm back to PS2 (for now).

Edit:
                      I've only had experience with Asus and Abit boards, and the Legacy setting only goes for Asus. On Abit the setting is 'USB Keyboard support OS/Bios', and that won't work for your USB mouse.

PS2 is good, it always works
                      Yeah, but you only get 80 refreshes per second, on USB you get 120
                      Yes I know, but what of the stuttering of the mouse, when the computer is busy doing something else, and what of all the problems I hear people get with the mouse on USB
                      120 is more than 80, and you know you want more, 120 is more than 80, 120 is more than 80....

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 22 July 2000).]
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

What a coincidence. I have an Intellimouse Explorer and was using it with the PS/2 adapter because with my P3-B-F MB it shares the USB with slot 3, where my sound card was. I had so many IRQs free it seemed silly to have to double up, plus didn't want to deal with the USB problems I've seen. I was using that program to change the PS/2 port sampling rate from its default (40 Hz) to 200 Hz. But the mouse cursor was always a bit jerky, which I attributed to a bad surface, cat hair, etc. So last night I switch to USB......and I love it! No problems. If you're using this mouse on a PS/2 port, definitely give the USB a try. Much bigger effect than I though.

John

PS....How can you tell what version of drivers (3.1 or 3.2) you're using?

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Johnny Ray, If I remember correctly the P3B-F has an IRQ/Slot layout like this:
                          AGP and slot 1
                          Slot2
                          Slot 3 and slot 6
                          Slot 4 and slot 5 and USB
                          If you got slot 3 and USB sharing, it's the working of the OS, so you might wanna set the 'Plug & Play O/S' in bios to 'No'.

Edit:
                          To see the version of the driver, go to
                          C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
                          and get properties. For 3.2 the version should read 3.20.0.484.

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Wow Sisyfos...nice catch, and you do remember correctly. I meant that the sound card is in slot 4. You probably haven't looked at this in months, and I just looked at it last night!

John

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Johnny Ray (John?).

I think I know the P3B-F manual by heart, I'm kind of nitty-picky? in that regard.
                              Even though one's hardware and drivers support IRQ sharing, if we can avoid it we wouldn't want that.
                              No, we definitely wouldn't want that

Comment

Working...
                              X