Windows 2000 HD Paging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 HD Paging

Hey guys is anyone else haveing trouble with Windows 2000 Professional constantly paging to the hard drive. I have 256 mb or RAM and a permininte swap file set to 256 mb and now 128 mb. I will be just browsing the internet and have my email client open and it is constantly swaping to the hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, JP
    Workstation Specs:
    Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Nope, the only times my hdd is accessed is when I start a big program, open a file that hasn't been used in a while, or transfering/saving a file. Far fewer hdd swaps after bootup than in win9x for me.

I have perm. swap set to 192, and 128 ram.

Rags

------------------
    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Oh, it just dawned on me, do you have MS office installed? If so, disable fast find. If not, make sure any indexing services are disabled as well.

Rags

------------------
      Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

I have MS Office 2000 the only thing I could find that was starting from that was called Offic in the Startup folder. I remove Indexing Service from Windows 2000 add remove programs. It seems to be better now, it does not just sit there and page but it will page on going to different web pages. I just installed it and don't remember it being that way at work or when I was 98 SE at home. Thanks for the tip.

JP
        Workstation Specs:
        Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

You sure it is paging you haven't got a virus checker butting in and checking every file that gets opened created etc. You could also ctl Alt Del and see what programs are running in the background or services as well.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

He's running Win2K, so Ctrl+Shift+Esc are the keys to Task Manager.
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Don't matter, you can ctrl alt del and get to task manager too.

Comment

Working...
              X