Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Player 7

Windows Media Player 7

Note Windows Media Player 7 should NOT be installed on computers running Windows® 95 or Windows NT® 4!

Oooh, it's out of beta? Oh Goody!

Eye Loiyks Dis Pwogramm!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

The final just showed up on Windows Update w/i the last 10 minutes.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Dank u wel, andrei!

-------------------
        Holly, practicing my very limited Dutch while downloading...

Comment

What Holly said! I'm getting tired of downloading a video file into media player, only to see it go- "Can't download a decompressor..". Maybe this'll solve that for me?

------------------
          Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ace - you sure the files you're playing aren't DiVX ;-) encoded? WMP doesn't know about those...

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I was amused checking out the different skins that are available. Currently using the RaveWorld skin.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The headspace skin is very cool, it's a shame it takes so long to open the program. If I want to watch several different mpegs or whatever I have to remember not to close it otherwise it takes a while to open again.
                P3 500 @ 600
                256MB PC133 RAM
                64MB PC100 RAM
                Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                Monster Sound MX400
                512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                ASUS P3B-F
                Logitech X1 Speakers
                Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                Logitech Internet Keyboard
                19.1G IBM 60GXP
                8.4G Seagate
                1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Windows Media player 7 works fine in NT4. Windows Media Encoder requires DX6 though so it doesn't work
                  I'm gonna play around with the DX6 hack and see if I can get it to work.
                  C:\DOS
                  C:\DOS\RUN
                  \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hehe, SteveC. Not quite. These are in one version or another of the QuickTime format, which probably means I need to go and download yet another update from Apple. It just strikes me as funny that the current version of Media Player I've got (6.2?) will open, completely download the video file, and then attempt (VERY quickly) to connect to an MS site, then report that it can't find a suitable decompressor. I DO have QuickTime 4 installed, but up until now haven't really taken the time to look into the issue further.

------------------
                    Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                    Gainward Ti4600
                    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

If you haven't already read it, you should check out Holly's post concerning the security/privacy settings on this player. I've set mine to paranoid settings.

Comment

We wish she set her settings to paranoid settings as well, xortam, since it didn't do too much good to her PC. You might've read in other threads already that installing WMP 7.0 caused her computer to go into a fit and it won't boot further than onto something saying "Failed to initialize device IOS. Windows Protection Error. Shut down your PC", even in Windows Safe Mode (!!!), and even repairing the registry and reinstalling Windows didn't work. We're now going for a full reformat of the harddrive and installing Windows blank

Thank you Microsoft for screwing a once working machine
                        Yes, it was the last thing she installed, no there were no major problems before that, and I'm about to throw the LX board out of the window. Anyone care to exchange this board for a good BX board?

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 19 July 2000).]
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yeah, I read about your woes Jorden. What can I say but bummer dude. Windows is nothing more than a toy OS. Its a house of cards, waiting to topple, and you just gave it that nudge. My old boss used to say, "You don't have to reboot a real OS". With Windows, not only do you land up rebooting all the time, Microsoft always has people reinstalling the OS to resolve problems ... sheesh. I think lots of folks play it really loose by swapping out HW (CPUs, non-removable disks, etc.) w/o reinstalling the OS or apps and using questionable software (or even non-certified, reputable SW) that may pervert shared files.
                          As far as your problem, did you boot up in DOS and check out your .ini files and drivers? Or have you already wiped the slate clean?

Comment

Jorden - I tried the beta a few months back and had exactly the same problem.
                            Can only suggest people are very wary before trying the final.

Comment

I'm sorry it didn't work out well for Holly
                              I had no problems with both the beta (used it for a month before the final got out) and the final.

Comment

Working...
                              X