Windows destroys directory structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows destroys directory structure

Why the h*** do windows ruin my directory structure on drive c: when I have my computer in sleep mode??? I use win98se with win98 I had no problems!!
    It's possible to recover directories with names like dir0001 and that really help, N O T ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    This has happend twice in the last two months and that is unacceptable!!!
    I do not have any viruses, I'm sure..

Why can't windows be a living thing, that way I could beat it to death (instead of my third keayboard )

------------------
    My system:
    • Athlon 700 MHz
    • Majesty Processor cooler (sweet)
    • 192 Mb Ram
    • Asus K7V mb
    • Matrox G400 (oc @ 150/200)
    • wester 10.2Gb and seagate 6.5Gb (removable) hdd
    • Aureal SQ1500 soundcard
    • Logitech Force Feedback wheel (pretty cool)
    • 300W atx case

My Homepage

My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Well, I guess I don't really need sleep mode, but I sometime use it when I go somewhere, just to turn off monitor, hard drives and get the computer to rest and be quiet.
    I haven't used any Norton (I don't like it)in the last year but I've used winboost 2000 though..
    Can it be it?
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Maybe not directly answering your question, but I have to agree with cking ... don't use sleep mode. I've never used this at home but I used some systems at work that were set up this way. I found them to be annoying, waiting for the disk spin-up to proceed. I believe this feature is really meant for large corporations that can save a meaninful amount of money by idling PCs that don't need to be in constant use. It really isn't meant for the hobbyist.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If you look at it in an environmental context, then the hobbyists on a world wide scale might amount to something.
        Anyway, lofty arguments aside, considering that most home computers are running Win9x and will have to be restarted on a regular basis anyway, you might as well turn off the computer if you are leaving it for a couple of hours.
        P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Some other possible causes:

1. Win98 was installed in ACPI mode and hibernation was enabled in the Power panel. Almost all desktop BIOS don't support ACPI hibernation under Win98. I had had a harddisk corruption because of this.

2. Win98 was installed in APM mode, but power management suspend type was set to STD (Suspend-To-Disk) in the BIOS. STD is similiar to ACPI hibernation, and you'll be surprised that most desktop BIOS actually don't work with it.

Even if the BIOS supports STD/hibernation properly, most probably you still need special BIOS utility to create hibernation partition or image file. Without this, the BIOS may write anything funny to the disk and end up with a disk corruption.

KJ Liew

Comment

Sounds complicated... I've rescued my harddisk though, scandisk recovered the damaged dirs to dir0001, dir0002 and so on.
            Then I figured out which one that was 'program files' and 'windows' directory, renamed them and installed windows over again. The desktop was almost recovered and I looked at the shortcuts in the startmenu to find out the exact names of the rest of the directorys (I learned last time this happend and didn't have so many dirs in the root
            I also figured out wich file was the 'autoexec.bat' and renamed. Then it was just left to restart in Dos-mode and 'scanreg/restore' a working registry from the day before and voila, the computer was just the way I left it. And why didn't I reinstall a clean system?? Well, this way I did a couple of days work in a few hours!!! I have quite a lot of programs and games installed...
            maybe it's time to take a look at windows Me?

------------------
            My system:
            • Athlon 700 MHz
            • Majesty Processor cooler (sweet)
            • 192 Mb Ram
            • Asus K7V mb
            • Matrox G400 (oc @ 150/200)
            • wester 10.2Gb and seagate 6.5Gb (removable) hdd
            • Aureal SQ1500 soundcard
            • Logitech Force Feedback wheel (pretty cool)
            • 300W atx case

My Homepage

My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Working...
            X