Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the "V.92" modem specifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the "V.92" modem specifications?

It would be nice to know the exact upload Speed.

Thanks in advance

Mega
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Upload - 44kbps

Read this:

ROLLING MEADOWS, ILL.- July 11, 2000 - U.S. Robotics Corporation today announced its endorsement of the newly determined enhancements to the 56Kbps standard by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at an ITU-T meeting this month in Edinburgh, Scotland. V.92 is an enhancement from the current standard, called V.90.

"V.92 represents a significant advancement for 56K modem technology. Faster speeds, quicker connection times and seamless call handling will dramatically improve the Internet experience of millions of customers throughout the world," said Christine Pomeroy, director of marketing for U.S. Robotics.

"As analog modem technology remains by far the leading Internet access solution, these improvements will have a significant impact on user satisfaction. U.S. Robotics plans to begin shipping V.92 standard products by the third calendar quarter, 2000."

V.92 enables three major new functions:

1) "Modem On Hold" technology allows a modem user to suspend a data call, answer an inbound call, then re-establish the data call without ever losing the connection. This permits a fuller utilization of a single phone line and eliminates time lost when the user's modem drops the call.
    2) "Quick Connect" allows a user's modem to remember the line conditions to the dial-up service provider to which it connects, and then connect quickly the next time without going through the training sequence. Users will be able to re-establish a connection significantly faster than with the previous standard, reducing the wait period to establish a connection.
    3) "V.PCM-Upstream" technology facilitates faster upstream communication with upload speeds reaching 44,000 bits per second (V.90 upstream speeds were limited to 31,200 bps). This allows faster and smoother operation of applications such as sending large e-mails, spreadsheets, presentations or photos, or uploading files.

"As a world leader in analog modems, U.S. Robotics has been a major contributor in the push for the V.92 determination, and we are pleased with the ITU's decision to approve the new V.92 standard," said Ray Crawford, director of product management for U.S. Robotics. "We continue to refine and improve the software to maximize the customer's Internet experience."

According to analysts at Cahners In-Stat, the demand for analog modems is at an all-time high as customers across the globe seek access to the Internet. By 2003, sales of analog modems are predicted to reach 129,000,000 units and are expected to account for 52 percent of all Internet access methods.

"EarthLink is driven to continually improve our member's experience, so we are pleased that U.S. Robotics is implementing the V.92 standard," said Lance Weatherby, executive vice president of Narrowband Services for EarthLink. "Dial-up service will continue to be EarthLink's core product for many years and the launch pad for all of the emerging access products that we offer our members. Their ongoing satisfaction is our most important job."

U.S. Robotics will be shipping client-only V.92 standards-based modems and will work closely with major head-end manufacturers to ensure interoperability. U.S. Robotics plans to ship product when interoperability with head-end providers has been achieved.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thanks Steve, It's good to know that there is help if you need some

Mega
      K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
      G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Backwards compatibility anyone?

can i upgrade firmaware to v92?

------------------
        1st system

Coppermine 600E @ 828mhz (138mhz FSB). Globalwin HSF (the hooge one with the air duct set to blow cold air in)Abit Bf6.256mb Winbond pc133, USR Message Modem external, SB Live!, Maxtor Diamond Max 30GB!!@ 7200rpm, Quantum 850mb HDD, Promise UDMA66, G400 @ max settings,Hitachi GD5000 DVD (region locked, what a bitch)3Com 10/100 PCI NIC. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB. Win98/w2k Dual boot. All wrapped up in Songcheer Super wide with loads of fans and 2 PSUs. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor, FPS100 sound system, Cyborg 2000 joystick, Genius Netmouse Pro and generic keyboard.

8 Port hub

2nd system

Celly 333 @ 500mhz, Abit BX6r2 @100mhz, 192mb pc133, 10GB fujitsu HDD, Adaptec 2940 SCSI card, Plextor 40 speed SCSI CD, Yamaha 8x4x24 SCSI CDRW, pioneer dvd104s, hollywood plus dvd card, All In Wonder pro 4MB, 2xVoodoo 2 12MB SLI, SB16 pro, 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC, 15in Dell Monitor, epson 460 stylus printer, genius vivid pro 2 scanner. Generic keyboard, 3d program pad, A4 cordless mouse, unnamed super midi tower ATX,300Watt PSU (original went bang)

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

I bet USR Courier's are upgradeable, most big name modems are probably flashable.

Looks quite cool though!

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I just called the Dutch branche of E-Tech, the manufacterer of my old but very trusty ISA 56kflex/V.90 Cyberbullet modem, and they told me that upgrades will start at the upper end of the modems first, slowly working backwards to the older modems.

But any modem flashed to the V.90 standard is capable of being flashed to the V.92 standard. You just need the right firmware from your modem manufacterer.

So in due time I'll be able to flash to V.92, but just have to wait for it to arrive for my modem

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

This sounds promising but I have little faith that my crappy ISP (ATT GlobalNet) will properly support it any time soon. I hope to be off analog modems by the time this is supported.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I've got a 3com Professional Message Modem and it'd not even listed on there website for driver updates. So I can me having ask there tech support to email the upgrade.
                Before anyone asks I did use their software to find the Modem number. Just in case the label was wrong and the number definatley wasn't listed.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X