Well thats 3/4 of an hour of my evening gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well thats 3/4 of an hour of my evening gone

Bastard Win2k. Is this one of the 63,000 bugs that just surfaced. Sat there doing a little web updating and decided that I wanted a quick look at the weather forecast. (Although it's july it still thinks it's winter here) and bugger me the wintv is ****ed up. The radio works fine the teletext is now suddenly audio only ?? and tv is bugger all.
    Did the install of 3dmark kill it? The latest Matrox drivers? Internet connection sharing or was a big fat ugly gremlin called Bill "it's feature" Gates.
    Anyway giving win2k a poke in the sides finally persuaded it to reload the drivers and everything is fine again.
    While this was happening the other win2k comp was rebooted only to tell me that had found a couple of bad sectors in the pagefile.sys. Bollocks I've only bought the bastard drive this weekend I'll keep the reciept and keep an eye on that.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Sure it wasn't the Scottish version of CeeFax that screwed it up and tried to be radio only?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Temper, temper

Anyway, don't worry, Win2k SP-1 will probably fix a hundred or so of those bugs

Comment

I heard SP-1 RC was 180MB... that would be 1.8MB for each bug ;-)

nah, let's hope it fixes about 20.000 bugs.. that would be much better

Comment

The reason SP1 was so big was because the download had the compressed and uncompress versions in one download. The Compressed SP1 beta is around 61.6mb.
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Still big, DosFreak !!

And btw, dZeus, how does one know that of the initial 65,000 bugs (as it were counted by M$ themselves), 20,000 would be de-bugged and another 10,000 wouldn't be in-bugged, meaning they found a couple of bugs and repaired them , but initiated another couple of bugs in SP-1?

It's usually this way with M$. Look at stupid Win(9x) Update: I want to download a 546k update for IE, and have to download a massive 6800k file because it insists my VRML is out of date or bugged!! ... errrr.... Hello?? I only want to update freaking IE !! MAY I?? NO?? Go to H**l then!!

I saw Holly d/ling a special Security Package for Win98 last night, and she walked away from d/ling the package initially. Coming back she saw her 2048k package being 6048k. You guessed it? VRML engine... not what we asked for, but HEY !! We at M$ made a new one and shove it down your throat anyway, hey hey hehehe.

During the download, her PC installed something and asked for a reboot... only to ask for a new connection after that to download the initial 2048k of data we asked for !! Only afterwards did we find out she got the new VRML engine. It's an option in the list... why is it an option in the list when we have to d/l it anyway with whatever we choose???? It was a Security Package update !!

[shaking my head] M$ is going downhill rapidly now they are about being force to split up...

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

That's why it's best not to use Windows Update. It's better to download the updates manually. Auto-update does and always will it seems suck.
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

You are aware that the 60,000+ bugs reported in Win2000 include such things as typo's and spelling mistakes?
                It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Could be serious if the miss spelling was in a Dll which was looking for another Dll to run.
                  Sometimes a list of bug fixes is interesting espiecally when it lists a problem with some hardware configuration that you've got yet your machine works perfectly.
                  Intel bios bug fixes are always interesting you offer wonder how they manage to post in some cases.
                  By the way the other win2k machine blue screened when I shut it down yesterday eavning. I wonder if it will come back up?
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X