Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances getting this to work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances getting this to work??

Hi I know there are a few BH6 users outhere so I was wondering if the following config could work...

Just surfed to overclockers.co.uk and saw they had a Cellermine 600 guaranteed to overclock to 900Mhz.

Any chances of getting this on a BH6 (first version), I know the Cel533 will work and I also heard of the 566 working so I was wondering if the 600 would work.

I also heard that no matter what you set the multiplier to in your Bios, it always adjust itself to the CPU locked multiplier, so if this is the case the only thing that could stop me from using the CPU would be the voltage right?

Also overclockers.co.uk just have a load of Golden Orbs in stock, they look so cool and from what I've read the seem to be in the same league as alpha coolers, so that wouldn't be a bad buy either wouldn't it?
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Not sure about the cpu, but the GO isn't in the same catagory as the Alpha... and sucks if OCing. Neat design and all, but the fan is all to small and it lacks the surface area to cool any cpu as well as a Globalwin VOS32 (or +) or an Alpha. BTW VOS32's are ~$30. Gold color also looks so hip, but doesn't do anything to improve thermal effeciency. Black is the best color because it has the greatest thermal emissitivity.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wow now that was a fast reply

Well Globalwin it will be then, I was just temped by the cool look of the GO (It would of impressed my friend though) But if I buy a GlobalWin I don't have to order it overseas wich makes it alot easier. I'm gonna pick one up for my P3-450 tomorow 'coz it's running at 60° for a couple of weeks now and that can't be good (altough it's stable as a rock @ 124Mhz FSB)

Thanks Greebe

Comment

Thats complete and utter bull. The Golden Orb is excellent for overclocking FCPGA chips, its the SECC2 and Athlon versions that suck balls. Ive got one cooling my Celeron 533 @ 896 just fine.

No, they are not as good as Alphas, but they are within a few degrees of these monsters even when overclocking. And theyre a lot quieter (assuming you use the standard YS-Tech or go for the Delta 60mm ). As for the annodized color, well, it has less effect on performance than you think.

Moleman: im using an old BH6 rev 1.01 to overclcok my new celeron, the BH6 can run the new celeron just fine. Best of all, unlike every newer Abit board, you can use the old BIOS flash voltage trick to set your celeron's voltage higher than 1.7v.

------------------
        This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 08 July 2000).]

Comment

Oh excuse me(NOT... those cpu's don't produce as much heat as what I'm used to. But when compared to the good ones (like an Alpha or VOS32) they bite the big one!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Tech Zone article concluded that the Golden Orb performed almost as well (2 degrees) as the Alpha when cooling a PIII/600@900.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam - The 600E produces very little heat compared with its Klamath brother or an Athlon. You can get 900 MHz from a 600E with a stock Intel heatsink in some cases.

If you see a difference between the GO and an Alpha with a 600E, then there is a significant difference. A real test is with a cpu that tests the ability of a heatsink to get rid of a lot of heat. The measured difference between the two is multiplied with greater heat output of the cpu.

The obvious outward measure of a heatsink's ability to dissipate heat is its surface area. If you compare the surface area of the GO to an Alpha, you would be convinced. The GO has the surface area of an Intel heatsink.

Comment

The GO's were definitely designed with socketed CPU's in mind. However, they weren't meant to dissipate huge amounts of heat, like the Alpha's. Don't forget, we (HP) wanted the GO's in servers, so they were made with reliability as a first priority, then cooling.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, but I still don't know if I can use a Cel2-600 on my old BH6, only madcat gave some info on that and I don't think he's running a 600Mhz cel2 rather a 533 or 566 (correct me if I'm wrong). I was hoping to have some info before monday so that I can order it. I also posted this question on the message boards of overclockers.co.uk , but there wasn't much response either on that matter. I guess nobody has tried it yet. Well I'll probably order it anyway and if it doesn't work I'll just have to use it on my BE6-2 wich I was planning to upgrade with a P3-700.

Anyway thanks for all the info on the coolers, I'm gonna order a Gorb for the Celeron and I'll probably stick a Globalwin on my P3-450

Comment

Thanks Brian R., I guess I'm not yet clear on the newer Intel processors. That article mentioned that they were using a SECC2/Slot 1 PIII/600 and show the cartridge which I thought meant it was a Katmai processor like my PIII/450 which would run hotter. They also spec it as an Intel P3-600e cB0, which sounds like a coppermine. Aren't there two PIII/600's? One a slot 1 Katmai and the other a FC-PGA coppermine? Please clear this up for me. I wasn't able to easily locate this at the Intel site.

I'm running a PIII/450 in an Asus P2B-S Rev 1.03 and I'm investigating what my upgrade options are with this motherboard. The o/c'ed Celeron 566 looks intriguing but I'd like to see some video application benchmarks. The non-oc'ed Slot 1 PIII/600 is still a contender since I'm concerned about oc'ing and its ability to cope with my current cards and future video capture cards (DV, HDTV?). I've just recently been reading about the slotkets, FC-PGA, and oc'ing with my mb so I haven't had any experience with this. Thanks.

------------------
                    • ASUS P2B-S, PIII 450MHz, Award ACPI BIOS v1010, 128 MB RAM
                    • MYLEX FlashPoint RAID+ (BIOS v2.02N) running RAID 0 on two 9 GB IBM DDRS 39130D Disks
                    • Diamond MX300 sound card, now with MX25 S/PDIF output
                    • Matrox Millennium G400 Max Dual Head - English
                    • NEC 5FG monitor
                    • Logitech MouseMan Wheel
                    • YAMAHA CRW4416S and NEC Multispin 3x CDs
                    • 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
                    • US Robotics 56K Voice FaxModem Pro
                    • Pioneer DVD-303S SCSI
                    • Note--All SCSI devices (except disk drives on RAID) are connected to onboard AIC7890 U2W SCSI
                    • Mainly running Win98 v4.10.1998

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam

Here's a link to Intel's steppings on PIII.
                      It's got information on package/socket/slot.
                      http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../sspec/p3p.htm

/Kim

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 08 July 2000).]
                      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Thanks Sisyfos, I had no idea there was such a plethora of PIII/600's; finding these CPUs is a whole other problem (found 600e and eb slot 1's). Still not sure what CPU will be the fastest for me. More reading to do ...

Comment

xortam - I just compared a couple of processors running a SETI@home client. I tested a 800e Slot 1 processor on an ABIT BE6 against a 600 Slot 1 Katmai on an ABIT BE6-2. Both were running at CAS2 with optimized BIOS settings. I got them to run SETI at identical speeds (same work unit) using the 800e at 960 MHz (120 fsb) and the 600 at 672 MHz (112 fsb). This is a specific example. Running Sandra, the results were proportional to their processor speeds.

The bottom line is: it depends on what you are doing if you want to judge relative processor speeds. By my reckonning, the 800e computer is significantly faster and cooler. The 800e is only warm, but the 600 runs considerably hotter.

(Note in the link above, the coppermine processors (SECC2 and FCPGA both) without exception generate 15.8 Watts under full load. Whereas the Katmai processors both generate 34.5 watts under full load. This is why the coppermines are a cinch to cool and the Katmai are a challenge when overclocked. Its likely the power output of the processor is linear with frequency and a 124 MHz Katmai 600 would generate 42.8 Watts. That's serious heating. (It is possible not all the power is given off as heat).

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 09 July 2000).]

Comment

Moleman, if youre worried about the BH6 supporting the Celeron 600's 9.0 multiplier...don't be. The BH6 will auto-detect your multiplier, just as it does for the 566.

------------------
                            This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Well Abit just made my day, just found out that the newest bios (SS) for the Abit BH6 supports Celeron's up to 700Mhz

Maybe I'll wait a little longer to see if those 700Mhz Cellerons can hit the 100FSB, wich would give a little more then that magic 1Ghz barrier

Also on the voltage problem, I saw that Abit slockets can be configured with jumpers to set the voltage, so that wouldn't be any problem I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X