Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon w/ Alumium HeatPlate?

Greebe or other Athlon experts:

Just received the new shipment of parts to build my friend's computer and the Athlon 850(classic) has silver colored Alumium HeatPlate! According to the code on the top, this is a week25 K7-850 and the front plastic case seem identical to others. I have build quite a few Athlon systems(two last week)and all the athlon's cpus had Black HeatPlates. Is this seem legit? Do all the recent Athlons(classic and T-Bird) have Alumium heatplate?

Thanks

Sounds like AMD is cutting costs. All SlotA cpu's have an aluminum HP. If yours is silver that means they ommitted anodizing it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe! For one moment I thought I got a modefied wanna-be.

Cracked the case open and took off the heatplate. It has a 900 core and 2.9ms cache chips. Hopefully, I can take this baby up to 1100 and beyond!(might need better cooling for the cache chips(1100/3=367!) Wish me luck!

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 07 July 2000).]

Comment

I've tested one Athlon 700 with 2.9ns L2's and that one would do 850 cache latency 1:2 ie 425 mHz!

I managed to get this Athlon 700 to run 950 on a FKK32 stable, but not higher (it would boot @ 1 gig but not finish loading win98)... the customer though had prepurchased a Swiftech MC1000 cooler (simply the best!) and I thought I'd see some truely awsome #'s from it... the guy left it at 850! (what a waste
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

SilverBack is now stable at 1110(10x111FSB)on Abit KA7 with Alpha7125 HS. Memory(Mushkin rev. 2.0) running at 148(Host CLK+PCI) CAS2. Set mem at HostClk CAS3 and I could do 1160(10x116FSB)stable . GFD will not do 10.5x or I could possiblely go higher. Not too bad with just air cooling. I am not too sure a Swiftech MC1000 could push it significantly higher, but I will take it if your customer doesn't want it.

CPU voltage is at 2.0(yeah yeah, I could shorten my cpu life and fry my harddrives..yadi yada PCI voltage at 3.5 and this baby(beast I meant) runs silky smooth. I have another Athlon 850@1026 and a 750@1026(850core) at 2.0v and those two machines have been crunching Seti non-stop for 2 weeks/a month now. Since my friend is using it for office work and not planning to upgrade for another three to four years, I am keeping SilverBack and giving her the 850@850 instead of 1026. Greebe: I feel your pain...

Comment

Working...
          X