Celeron II (Help!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeron II (Help!!)

My celeron400 bit the dust on me when I was trying to play on the Matrox UT server saturday night (it was great timing). So... I got myself a 533A and an Iwill Slocket II. And the highest I've been able to overclock to is 760 (95mhz bus). I have no idea what's stopping me from 800. I really felt 800 should've been possible since Maggi and others are getting 900+. I even tried pushing the voltage up to 1.9V at 800mhz and it was a no go. I've got an Alpha heatsink with a YS Tech fan and I'm using the cheap silicone based heatsink compound from radio shack. So any advice? Should I try silver based heatsink compound? Should I just let it "burn in" at 760 and try for higher in a few weeks. Is the Iwill Slocket II just lousy for o/cing? Any advice you can give will be most appreciated

I'm running my 533A @ 600 with 1.55v on a CUBX. I'd run it 666 but the room it's in isn't cooled, and I don't want to o/c my drives and PCI cards. I'm using a GoldenOrb and the same RS heatsink grease.

I've had it up to 800, but it wasn't 100% stable at 1.55v. With the voltage bug (hopefully a BIOS issue) it'll lock up right after booting to the desktop if I crank the voltage past 1.55.

I might as well mention that you should be VERY, VERY carefull when you put a heatsink on or off a FC-PGA chip... I had a scary accident with mine. My GoldenOrb had been on a K6-2 550 before, and due to it being thicker than the FC-PGA chips it was designed for, the mounting clips little spring/cam things got flattened out somewhat. After I had first installed the HS, I decided to pull it off and bend the cam things back out a bit for a tighter fit. I then put the HS back and gently twisted it around a bit and then removed it to make sure I had enough grease on it to cover the entire slug. I then noticed this little bit of shiny stuff in the corner of the little circle of grease. It was SILICON!!!! Somehow I had managed to break a tiny chunk off the corner of the slug. I cleaned up the chip and HS and reinstalled it, hoping for the best. Thankfully it didn't seem to cause any problems, but you might as well be warned, those chips are extremly brittle.

Comment

That "slug" is actually the substrate of the chip itself... fracturing it can destroy the cpu! This is true on all cpu's made this way (Like I reported with Athlon's some 6 months ago)
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I know it's the back of the chip, thats what got me worried. I must have had the HS at a small angle while trying to get the clip to latch onto the tab on the socket. I had visons of tiny fractures spread throughout the guts of the chip, but it seems I got lucky.

Comment

btw, thanks for your input on my power supply thread Greebe. After using a voltmeter I'm pretty sure it's got something wrong with it. I couldnt even read the brand on it until I took it out. It's made by PowerMan. I'd never heard of this company and I'm somewhat suprised that Inwin put one in my Q500N!?

Getting back on topic... could a lousy power supply be keeping me from 800+mhz?

Comment

The s-spec on my chip is SL46S. It's a week 20 chip. I saw a picture of an SL46T that was a week 8 and it could overclock over 900mhz!? It doesn't make sense to me to have a newer chip but with a lower letter in the s-spec. Maggi, (or someone else that's had success) can you please tell me the s-spec and week of your chip?

Comment

Comp, if it doesn't boot, then it's not a thermal problem. I'd reccommend Artic Silver if looking for the good stuff.

Powerman PS's are quite good and are recommended by AMD. I have one in my InWin Q500-300a (ie 300w supply) and my Athlon draws much more current than a CII. So unless it's defective (or highly loaded by other peripherals) I doubt that's it. Which one do you have?
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X