Fatal Exceptions again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal Exceptions again

Okay... Now I need some help, as I don't know anymore.

Installing Holly's American Win98FE on a brandnew hdd got me as far as installing it, before for some unknown reason her fonts started degrading and we had Windows Protection Errors, as fonts were not loaded (Hey!! The aren't even on the drive, dammit!!)

So I reinstalled Win98FE and now I'm looking at the same error message as I've seen the past couple of days:

"A fatal exception 00 (sometimes also 0E) has occurred at 0028:C0053135 in VXD VTD(01) + 00000375. The current application will be terminated."

Okay, so what resides at 0028 in memory that is so damn special that something else can't use it? And wtf is VXD VTD(01) ???

Help us, please?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Jorden,
    What's the system?
    Did you double check to make sure bios identified the hard drive correctly.,LBA enabled?
    What hard drive is it and is it udma 33 or 66?
    Any special cables being used and how are you setting it up?(ie 80 pin cable)

Comment

Get vxdmon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ and find out who's there.

Ciao

Comment

Another useless error message from Microshaft. I would go for a device conflict but what who knows.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The system is a Celeron 333 MHz, DFI P2XLX mobo, 128Mb RAM. I've found the culprit to be the MX300 soundcard. Upon removing it, all errors cleared. Must be something in those Aureal drivers that don't want to work with this system.

Let's just hope that future versions of Windows keep some kind of DOS in an underlying shell. I've been more in DOS these past couple of days, than I've been able to get into Windows. Wonder what that will become when there's only Windows and your system keeps crashing

But thanks for the link, Gino. I'll try it tonight from home.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Microsoft would lead you to believe that windows wouldn't crash, ofcourse.
            PIII 500Mhz, ASUS P3B-F mobo, G400 MAX, old ESS ISA Soundcard, 64MB Ram, Acer 15" Osborne 15", 8.4G, 1.57G, 48x AOpen CD

Comment

Windows doesn't crash. It's your computer that crashes.

Comment

Jorden, do you have the same problem while using the Diamond drivers? Have you tried leaving the MX300 on its own IRQ?
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

We don't have the Diamond drivers at the moment, and yes, we left the MX300 on it's own IRQ. But it wants to install an SB emulator that uses IRQ5 as well... Normally this wouldn't crash Windows, but then again, I don't know that much about Diamond soundcards either

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Stick w/the Aureal drivers. The Diamond drivers *may* resolve *some* problems but will more than likely introduce new ones (such as Quake3 locking up frequently).Keep in mind that any Diamond drivers are likely to be at least 4 months older than the "reference" drivers,and for this reason I ditched my MX300 and bought an SBLive! Value.

Comment

ARGH! Someone said Diamond Drivers! ACK!

NONONOONONONONONOONONONONONONOO!

Comment

Well Jorden ... you know you can get the Diamond MX300 drivers off of the S3 site. I never noticed any problems with them (except they've never been updated) and any Q3A lock-ups have always been attributed to something else. Perhaps I don't stress the sound card as much as some. I am currently running Aureal drivers simply because they're much newer.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam, until I find some affordable speakers to attach to Holly's soundcard, the MX300 will stay out of her system. And with the network finally online, she could use my speakers for playing her music as well

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                          X