Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the C6 Stepping of the AMD 751 Multiplier locked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the C6 Stepping of the AMD 751 Multiplier locked?

Hi guys,

The problem is that if I wan't to overclock a Thunderbird/Athlon Classic on a board that carries that chip (tested on Asus K7M Rev.1.04 and Gigabyte Rev 1.1) it is impossible to overclock it via multiplier settings. it is possible to overclock via FSB, but that's not an option 'cause I'm only able to get these boards stable at 110 Mhz, and that results in 770Mhz, You probably guess it: It's a 700 one. I've also tested it with 2 different GFD's (Freespeed Ninja Pro{active} and a GFD without the need of current{passiv}. It's impossible.
    But if I use an old K7M (Rev.1.02, stepping C4) it is possible to overclock with Multiplier! The only problem with that solution is that I have to set the Vcore with the board jumpers and not with the ones on the GFD's.
    I hope that anyone can help.

Mega

PS: I've forgot to tell you that the Thunderbird isn't the limiting factor. It's able to achieve some shiny 875Mhz!!!

[This message has been edited by MegaManX4 (edited 04 July 2000).]
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

This doesn't make any sense to me. As I understand it, the CEC's don't get involved in the CPU speed beyond setting the FSB. Maybe the motherboard isn't supplying enough current?
    It would help if you describe what a failed overclock is like? No boot? If it ignores the GFD setting, I will be very perplexed.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The problem is a "no boot at all". even if I only overclock it to 750Mhz. It is possible to get it to post at 900Mhz with an old board! And if I overclock via FSB to 770Mhz it also posts and is very stable!
      Does anyone know what to do?

Mega
      K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
      G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Working...
      X