Asus P2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P2B

I've had this board for more than 2 years now and since there really is no better alternative to the 440BX chipset I wouldn't want to buy a new one.

The dilemma I'm facing is, that the hardware revisin of the board is 1.02 and Asus claims it has to be at least 1.12 to be able to use the new CuMines/C2's with it.

The question is, do any of you have this same board (rev 1.02) and have tried to use coppermines with it?
    I'm looking to buy a Celeron2 and o/c it (of course), but w/o buying a new mobo as well.
    Idiots try to maintain order - A genius can control chaos.

Hi Mavericc,

don't trust ASUS on that topic !!!

My P2B-S Rev. 1.02 is also marked as 'too old' (had to be rev 1.04 at least according to ASUS), but look here http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001980.html

and read closely what I did to get a Cel-566 up to 112MHz FSB and see my sig ...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

Celeron 566 @ 952MHz
    Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB
    2x 128MB olden PC100 SDRAM
    G400 32MB DH Vanilla @ 150.8/201.0MHz core/mem

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I have a good change of buying a similar Celeron 566 that can go pretty easily just as high as yours .

Anyways, I forgot about the multiplier alltogether. My P2B can't go higher than 8.0 and the C566 uses 8.5 ... does it still work allright? Does your P2B-S have 8.0+ choises?

There's also no documentation of what kind of core-voltages the mobo can offer, how low it can go. So i'm a little worried about damaging the new cpu first thing ...

And one more question .. what does that "vanilla" mean when referred to the G400??

Comment

Mavericc, You might want to scour the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus newsgroup for more opinions.
        Yesterday, I finally determined that I have a Rev 1.03 P2B-S MB. Looking through the NG, it seems that the fastest PIII I can upgrade to is the PIII/600 (currently have 450). Does anybody know better? Maggi?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yup ... ASUS P2B-S Rev 1.02 ... Cel566@952 ...

The trick was to up the VCore to +1.8 volts !
          Below it wouldn't even POST.

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maggi, I was asking about a PIII, you're referring to a Celeron (A Celeron 2 at that, isn't it?).
            Also, how does a Celeron 2 perform compared to a PIII at the same clock rate? I'd be interested in seeing comparisons under various applications.

P.S. I'm also only asking about the fastest non O/C'ed PIII CPUs.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 30 June 2000).]
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hi Xortam,

it is a Cel-II and those are identical to coppermines, except for they somehow disabled half of the L2 cache, changed it's latency and use a lower VCore (1.5 volts default) ...

It uses multiplier of 8.5 and the highest supported one on my MoBo is 8 ...
              Those multipliers are set by the CPU itself, unless you have an unlocked engineering sample.

What I intended to say by my post was that no matter what ASUS wanted to believe me, I gave it a try and obviously it was a good decisions ...

The point is to set VCore to 1.8 volts which is above default, but that the only way I could boot at all and hence I'm very sure that your newer Mobo (than mine) will be able to deal with new Coppermine CPUs too.

Cheers,
              Maggi

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Right. I've been around a few forums and ng's and came up with the answer:
                Majority of the older BX-motherboards can't supply a cpu voltage lower than 1.8v which is why they do not officially support the new CuMines and Celeron 2s that require 1.5 to 1.7 vcore. Of course, you can get around this with the Slot1 boards with a slocket, but have to use the higher 1.8v voltage ...
                Not really a problem if you're into overclocking (aren't we all ) and have proper cooling, though.

I have a great change of getting a C2 566 that is guaranteed to o/c to 953 with Titan Majesty and Asus Slocket, but the price tag is a little high (not that I couldn't afford it). A real dilemma 'couse I really don't have any good use for that kind of raw power, but would be nice to have anyway

Uhh, I only have till tomorrow to decide ...

[This message has been edited by Mavericc (edited 04 July 2000).]

Comment

I just bought celery 566, and installed it. I have P2B about year old. Celery worked fine on 566, 66 fsb. I did not changed any multiplier jumer. Previous I had celery 400, so dont worry about that. Celery works fine on 75 fsb,637 MHZ, but when I tried 100, 850 he refused to boot windows. So I bought adapter (slot1 - socket) with voltage settings. For 100 MHZ fsb you should set voltage to 1.65V. Now it works ROCK stable. When I sad ROCK I really mean it, it just finished 8,5 hours of converting DVD to DIVX.
                  I did not turned it off for two days, and I had NO crashes. Temperature is really high this days in zagreb (about 35 celsius) and I have no extra cooloing for processor. I believe it will work for years on 850. Cheers.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I paid for adapter about 25 DEM, or cca 12-13 USD, and for celery 260 DEM. This is realy low price here in Croatia.

Comment

"Now it works ROCK stable. When I sad ROCK I really mean it, it just finished 8,5 hours of converting DVD to DIVX"

After I read this, I decided I want to share a good way of testing the stability of an overclocked rig with everyone; if I overclock my Celeron 366 to 550, it would easily do the thing what you said above, but my system was not stable (enough that is, for me, at least).

The secret-super-duper-way of checking the stability of a overclocked rig, very fast and efficient, and also a-good-deal-of-fun-to
                      way: (here it comes, prepare for it :-) :

Play Delta Force (1, not 2)! It crashes my machine within 10 minutes if it is not absolutely stable, where I can run Q3A for a day long... I think it is one of the most CPU-intensive (using the most instructions or something) applications/games ever! If your PC can hold DeltaForce, it can hold EVERYTHING

Comment

Better yet, dZeus, compile a linux kernel. I was running "stable" my 450A at 2.1v and everything worked fine (unreal flyby intro, Q2 software rendering worked all day long) and it crashed ugly compiling a kernel in linux. 2.2v did the trick.

Comment

By the way, Maggi .. You run the celery at 112 MHz FSB, right? Have you disabled UDMA from the BIOS or is it necessary? What HDs do you have?

People are saying that one should stay away from Maxtor's drives when o/c'ing the PCI/IDE. Any comments on that, anyone?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X