Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any recommendations for sound cards?

Hey all-

My sound card just died (Creative Labs (formerly Ensoniq) PCI 64) and so I gotta buy a new one...

Anyone have any recommendations. I'm looking for something $75 or less. I hear the company with the competing standard to Creative's EAX 3D standard (Aureal's A3D) has gone bankrupt, so I'm kind of leaning towards a Creative card. However, Creative is not supporting EAX in Windows 2000 for the PCI series. That leaves the Live! series- which is badmouthed here for IRQ problems and driver incompatibilities w/ Matrox products.

So, what options do I have? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much!

I have an SB Live! from Creative. Don't really have that many troubles with it. Most of the driver issues have been fixed. The only IRQ trouble I have heard of is the extra IRQ the DOS emulation uses, which can be disabled and freed up rather easily.

Aureal has gone bankrupt, but they are not out of the picture, yet. They had a management change to fix their problems, but nobody really knows what will happen.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think Aureal has closed shop permanantly. Their corporate web site is gone although their tech support site is still up for the moment.

Anyway, you can get an OEM SBLive value for around 50$. I haven't actually had an problems with mine to date. At least no problems that were the fault of the Live.
      If you can find an MX300 somwhere, well, it might be worth it, although since Aureal is dead, thats definately an iffy route. The MX400 is iffy as well, I haven't read anything good about it yet. It doesn't use the Aureal chip, I think it uses an ensonique chip. Its mostly useing the name "MX400" to play off the popularity of the MX300.

My $.02
      Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

The Aureal site was up last week. Maybe its just down temporarily while their lone IS guy is out on vacation.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The MX400 is based on the ESS Canyon3D controller and uses the Sensaura 3D algorithm.

Aureal is reorganizing under Chapter 11. They aren't officially dead until they declare bankruptsy under Chapter 7. However, not hearing anything about them for such a long time can't be a good thing. In this case, I don't think no news is good news.

Any gaming soundcard can give you IRQ problems, particularly if you keep Soundblaster emulation enabled. I haven't heard reports of driver issues with the SB Live and the G400 in quite some time. Apparently, W2K support is pretty bad.

If you get an Aureal based board, driver support might be iffy as far as updates go, and if they do go belly up, and your card breaks, you can forget about the warranty. The boards work pretty well with the current drivers, however, and many people believe the 3D effects are better. It's a very powerful card, and has had fewer compatibility issues then most. There are lots of new chipsets and peripherals on the horizon, so new issues might pop up.

Some people believe the CL Live sounds better. You can get an OEM Live 1024 for $50.00-60.00. Maybe cheaper. I haven't checked in a while.

Guillemot has a budget board that also uses the Sensaura algorithm and, I believe, a Yamaha chip. A retail board can be gotten for under $50.00.

There are a bunch of expensive, non-gaming soundboards available. They're probably overkill.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 21 June 2000).]

Comment

Creative has launched liveware2 for win2k. I use it and it works preety well. Liveware3 shouldn´t be very far.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 21 June 2000).]

Comment

I've also read that the SB Live has less of a drain on CPU resources than the MX300.
              My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

When running the SBLive! in Win2k I can play MP3's with 0% CPU Utilisation...

however the current Win2k drivers are not really as good as I hoped them to be, but LiveWare 3.0 for win2k is not far away (acrually it could be released any day now)

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm just about to open my case to make sure my PCI64 is truly dead.

I think I'll go for the Live! Value. I found a site that sells it for $45.

Comment

It is truly dead. Put it into a different slot and no go. Tried it with Win2K and Win98 SE.

Anyone know if the Live! X-Gamer is worth the extra money for the digital out?

Also, is Creative discontinuing the Live! Value? I see very few of them around (on websites.) The price of the Value is good...

(I'm buying my first house and have to be cheap right now!)

Comment

Just bought the Live! Value. $38 + $9 s&h at techsumer.com

Thanks again for the advice...

Comment

Nuno: MP3 playback with <font size=5>0% CPU Utilisation!</font>

Is that right Nuno? Because I'd be a very happy person!

And is it only when running LW2 for 2000? (btw, when did this come out?)

What player are you using for that? Any? Or only the Creative one?

Thanks, Paul.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace:
                          Thanks for the credit, but it was actually dZeus to point it out...

But I can confirm it:

Comment

Does the SBLive! have hardware acceleration for MP3's or what? I just did the same experiment on my Win98 system and got the same results.

Comment

I'll check it out to see if that happens with sonique (I doubt it)
                              !@#$%ing lack of Internet@home is driving me f*kking up the wall, I don't know how much more of this I can take (takes several deep breaths). At least I have my G400 SH to turn to (and NFSHS)
                              btw Germany 0 Portugal 3 bwahahahahahahaha
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X