Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Awe64 ISA Recording (Master control is Greyed out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Awe64 ISA Recording (Master control is Greyed out)

Fiddling with other hardware really makes your appreciate the level of advice and solid information available here.

I've been all over the 'net for the last 3 hours looking for a solution to my soundcard recording problem...here goes.

Simple task: I just wanna record a number off a CD as a .wav file. 'K just set the ol W98 Mixer to recording properties, load up my trusty ol' Cool Edit, and ...

WTF??

My Master Record volume is locked on 50% and greyed out. No way to set the input higher (or lower).

Well, Creative's website has an FAQ on this EXACT problem. Solution: "Try changing your resources under Device Manager" & "Try a reinstall of the latest drivers"

Done Both. NO JOY!!!

No reported resource conflicts, and the same issue with any available I/O setting or IRQ.

A reminder to all who complain about Big M's drivers, Just shut up!--Creative's "Latest" for my trusty ol' Awe64 ISA are dated December of '97.

I've done all the usual things--deleted drivers, reinstalled drivers from their website, deleted the drivers AND pulled the card AND rebooted and then reinstalled, put another cheap soundcard in (worked ok--just noisy & cheap)--uninstalled it, and put the AWE64 back in,

Searched with REGEDIT. Looked for multiple entries in 'safe mode'.

NO JOY!

Recording master control is still locked on 50% and greyed out. I even uninstalled all my Matrox drivers and VidTools thinking this could be causing a problem...still locked on 50%

Any one out there have any ideas.????

BTW, If Mike ever sends me my new Athlon, I'm ready to buy another S/C anyway, so advice in that direction would also be useful.

------------------
    AMD K6III 400 @ 426 On a SOYO SY5EMA M/B. Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, Promise Ultra 66 Controller
    two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner,
    All stuffed into a Mid-tower ATX case with no device slots left!
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

It might help you a little if you use this program instead, Tim.

Called CDEx, it also gives you the option to record to MP3

Go get it from http://cdex.n3.net/

Jord,
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I used to use CDEx. Pretty good program, but it would eat my CPU alive for some reason.
      You can also try using the ->WAV plugin that comes with WinAmp (Haven't tried it myself).
      I forget if you have messed with Linux or not, but if you have, Grip is a great program. Let me know if I need to dig up a link.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So this proggy bypasses my soundcard?

Hmmm. Dunno if it's gonna suit my needs, but I'm d/ling it right now to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

It just drives me nuts when sump'in don't work right....Like picking a scab.

Grrrrr.

Wombat: Still too chicken to take on Linux, but thanks.

Creative's got a FAQ on this issue, and I can't work around it! Probably something stupid. It usually is.
        -------------------
        Small Quick and doing just what I need.

Thanks Jord, I owe you another.

Still drives me nuts that my ol' Awe64 is bugged though. Can't stop picking the scab, but this little CDex is doing the job I needed to get done.

Thanks Again!

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 03 July 2000).]
        Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
        CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Working...
        X