Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Various system problems: VIA, SS7, OpenGL, SIS, LAN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various system problems: VIA, SS7, OpenGL, SIS, LAN...

I hosted a LAN game at the weekend for myself and 7 other players. Our LAN games started last year and mostly run during holidays or occasional weekends. As the games continue the systems on the LAN continue to be problematic and on occasions unplayable. We have recently started a move to be more professional about the way we do things in that there is a website dedicated to the games with general information and guides, there is a driver, patch and add-on store on the network offering latest updates for drivers and games and we have also started charging an entry fee. This makes it all the more annoying when people turn up with disfunctional machines that either crash during games or cannot network in others. My system and a foreign friends system that I am looking after until University starts up again next year both play and network flawlessly so no problems there. There are 2 further Compaq’s which are in a similar situation and another person’s self-build P3 which is again pretty stable. The problems lie in the Socket 7 systems usually so any people who know of these systems would be most helpful! I don’t know all that much about the systems so any general tips would be helpful too. In an effort to improve the games as a whole I decided to ask you guys!
    Some of the full specs are unknown but I have put in as much as I know – if you want more then I’ll try and find out.

System 1: This is the system I know most about and is, while generally good, had some problems with stability and networking. It was originally a Daiwoo system with a Cyrix and a Trident but he has upgraded it since then! Specification is:
    K6-2 450MHz, VIA MVP3 SS7 ATX ACPI Motherboard, 128Mb EDO RAM on 2 DIMMs, 3.2Gb Hard Drive, 32x Samsung CD-ROM, 8x4x4x Mitsumi CD-RW, 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000, a sound card and a 56k s/w modem, Windows 98.

System 2: I setup Windows 98 on this persons machine for him and had to put in a PCI card of my own to get the system up and working. If anybody has drivers or a url for a Sis 6215 then please post as well. I have put a Diamond Stealth 64 PCI (Trio 32/64) into the system but I’d rather have that back! Specification is:
    AMD K6-? (1 or 2?) 233, Socket 7 motherboard without AGP, 64Mb of SIMMs, 3.2Gb+650Mb Hard drive, CD drive, Voodoo 2, SB64 AWE ISA, Sis 6215 or Trio 64, a modem and Windows 98.

System 3: This system seemed pretty good but kept wanting to connect to the internet and couldn’t join a Q3 server. Don’t know if it’s important but here is the spec anyway:
    AMD K6-2 500, SS7 mobo, 64/128Mb, 20Gb hdd, 48x cd, TNT2 Pro and a Voodoo 2, SB Live Player/Value, 56k modem and Windows 98 (probably SE). One more point is that he actually removed dial-up networking and that didn’t help.

Lots of points there and I’d be grateful for any help at all!

Thanking you’s all in advance,

Paul (of ‘The Pace3000 Arena’)
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Ahhh, sounds like my normal network games I set up....

System 1: Try installing the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers and so on. Latest drivers for every bit of H/W in the PC. BIOS upgrades and so on. Failing that, I dunno. Checked for overheating probs?

System 2: Goto www.sis.com.tw for drivers for the SiS gfx card

System 3: When it wants to connect to the internet, just hit escape (don't try to alt-tab as it often kills the PC). Sometimes you cant' actually see it trying to connect, it looks like it's hung. Just try hitting escape then too. (A Better way would be to turn off auto-dial in IE, or even remove all dial up networking)

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I suggest the using SEARCH function of this BBS. It is quite helpful.

Basically because all forms of VIA problmes have been addressed ALREADY and SEVERAL MORE times ALREADY.

I am sick and tired of seeing lazy people repeatedly posting the same problems when the solutions have already been addressed. ALl they have to do is use the SEARCH function.

But, then again, they did buy a VIA based mobo which kinda explains it.
      Abit BX6 Rev.1
      Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
      192 meg RAM, CAS2
      13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
      6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
      HP8110i 4x2x24
      Pioneer DVD-104
      SB Live! 1024
      USB ZIP 100
      G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
      Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
      YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

SteveC: Thanks Steve. With regards to System 1 we did install the latest VIA drivers before the LAN game (he came round to help setup the night before) and guess what that done! Messed up everything so we reinstalled Win98 and just installed the VIA drivers of his original CD but he still crashes in UT after a while. Networking is also dodgy in Q3. I was wondering if this maybe is a RAM problem - is it OK running EDO RAM in his system? He runs it at 66MHz anyway so it shouldn't really overheat or anything but maybe EDO and UT don't get on - I had heard that UT puts quite a strain on main memory so that it's a good test for overclocking RAM - if it runs UT then it's OK. Is there any truth in this?

And are the latest 4.22 4in1's stable? (well, as far as a stable VIA system goes ) I had heard that the 4.22 were somewhat problematic on these forums but I couldn't find this thread.

System 2: Thanks for the link!

System 3: The machine crashes as soon as you attempt to connect to the server in Q3 - and it definitely has hung - I had already tried escape. I am sure that I'd be able to fix his machine myself but he is pretty good with PCs (or thinks he is ) and I doubt he'll let me fix it.

CrazyBee: I know the usual stuff to do with VIA boards but this wasn't just a VIA question. I know how to search and I have done. Thanks for your help, not.

Thanks to Steve again, however, and anybody else who wants to help,

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I'm going to try System 1 with some of my SDRAM and I'll be sure to let you's know how it goes!

So - any problems with the 4.22 drivers? And can I download older ones from anywhere?

TIA,

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
          X