Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just ordered me a CUBX and Celery FC-PGA 533!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered me a CUBX and Celery FC-PGA 533!

Paid $262.04, overnight FedEx. Never used a Intel based board/cpu, anybody got any helpful pointers? I mainly would like to know which drivers are best for Intel systems, I'm guessing 5.52, since it's the latest "offical" release for a G400 MAX.

I'll be moving the GoldenOrb off of the K6-2 550, along with a 128 meg PC133 CAS2 DIMM. I don't plan on overclocking past a 100 MHz FSB, mainly because the room it's in has no cooling, right now the ambient temp's at 31.8c(89.2f), and with Prime95 the CPU's up to ~50c(122f).

It's a BX board. No muss, no fuss. No 1/2 AGP divider. No asynchronous memory operation. No "native" ATA-66 support, although there is an onboard controller.

I'm a firm believer in reinstalling Windows after a motherboard upgrade. Just use the drivers that install when Windows installs, and ignore the motherboard drivers on the Asus CD, unless you want to install the drivers for the CMD controller. I had problems getting these drivers to install properly. Following Asus's directions got me into trouble. Deviating from Asus's directions got me into trouble. I just gave up and used the standard IDE interface.

If you don't have a hard drive that supports ATA-66, or you don't intend to use this feature, you should disable the CMD controller in the motherboard's BIOS. It uses an IRQ that you might need elsewhere.

As for Matrox drivers, take your pick. I like the PD 6.0 betas, but you can use 5.55, 5.52, 5.41--anything you like.

I think you'll find working with the CUBX to be relatively easy. It's a really nice board. I had some problems getting a PIII 700 to cold boot at 931 MHz, and this turned out to be a motherboard issue, but I had absolutely no problems with PIII 550E at 733 MHz. You shouldn't have any issues with that Celeron 2. If you have problems booting at 100 MHz, increase the voltage in small increments until its stable or you start getting uncomfortable.

Good luck.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Got me one of those CUBX'ers and it s fine board! Forget what Paulcs says about new install with a new MOBO, real men will welcome the challenge and just throw their existing HD on the ribbon cable and boot away!
      I did only ripp some of my hair out and got a W98se and a W2k drive running... :0

------------------
      PIII-650, 256 HDSRAM, Asus CUBX, G400/32, SBLive!,Sony G400 19", Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,and some fish,

Comment

Eh...in the real world, he'll probably end up having to reformat.

Comment

I'm using a UDMA/66 7200 RPM drive on my MVP3G5 at UDMA/66, I'd rather not give up what little extra performance UDMA/66 gives over 33 if possible.

I am going to format, mainly because I'm don't like the idea of all the VIA drivers sitting in the deep, dark recesses of Win98 and getting rancid.

Thank you both!

Comment

Question, is there a new revision of the CUBX motherboard? I recently browsed the ASUS website, and the picture of the CUBX shown does not have the 'blue' ATA66 connectors and the ISA slot? Just curious cuz friend was asking me my opinion of the board, and before I could say how good it was, the picture I showed him was different.

------------------
            Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, P3 500E@700, 128MB Toshiba PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, 3Com 3C905CTX 10/100, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Toshiba SM1212 DVD, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE
            Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

I saw that too, it looks like a incomplete board, the CMD controller is also missing. The site does mention a board without the ISA slot, but I've not seen anything about no UDMA/66.

Comment

I too have just purchased the board and CPU. The first board that came in was faulty as it wouldnt boot or post or nothing, it would turn the fans on only if i put the ATX pwer supply connector in the slot a little and to the right but it would only pwer the fans. I had to go back to me P5a and 500MHz until a new board camer in.....ARRRRGH.
                Although reading your guy's post is leaving me very excited and encouraged, especially when i had my buddy OC the CPU and it ran stable at 935MHz @ 110x8.5 .....WOOHOO!

Cheers All!

Comment

Working...
                X