Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDRom drive and software instalation problems

Good day all,

Having problems installing software titles(some...not all) via my CDrom drive (Acer 40X). Installation will progress to a point, apparently random, and the system will lock up tight...have to hit the good ole re-set button. All software has been installed in my system at some point in the not so distant past. Troublesome titles to date: Mcafee VirusScan, Adobe Photoshop LE, and Picture Publisher 8 off the G400 driver Cd.

Trouble-shooting to date has included a format, disabling DMA for the drive in device manager, checking the seating of the IDE cables, cleaning the drives and Cd,s, and spewing a variety of expletives designed to exorcise all manner of computer demons; to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks much.

System specs: Abit BH6 mobo (latest bios); Western Digital Expert 9 GB hard drive; Matrox G400 32mb dual head, Montego-2 sound card; Voodoo-2 SLI setup (currently disabled); 256mbs pc100SDram; Celeron-2 566@850mhz.

Thanks again!
    WJC

The only other thing that comes to mind is to turn off bus mastering on your G400 while doing software installations:
    Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Options
    Then uncheck the bus mastering box.

Since this will slow down your G400, turn bus mastering back on after installing software. BTW, what IRQ is your G400 on?

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Thanks RAB,

My G400 is on IRQ 11. BTW, my OS is W98. Unfortunatly, I am at work and cannot attempt your suggestion, but will certainly give it a shot when I get home. Curiously, for any given troublesome software, the point at which my system locks will vary from install attempt to install attempt. For example, Picture Publisher 8 inially installed about 15%, second try got to 95%, third, about 1%. Is it possible the trouble could be viral? Unfortunatly, I cannot install VirusScan to answer my own question. Once again, thank-you for the response. Any other ideas....send them on.

WJC

Comment

Just another thought have you tried the Cdrom on it's own cable with nothing else attached to it.
        You may also need to set the CD to cable select.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X